Rubber stoppers for airlocks?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTS_35

Reaction score
I want to ask a question about these. I have three 1 gal glass jugs and a 5 gal glass carboy. The 1 gal I only seem to get the #6 rubber stopper and the carboy # 6.5. I made blackberry in the 1 gal and now my reisling 4 gallon was just racked for the second time. Now in both these wines I'm picking up the damn rubber smell and in the blackberry I feel like I can taste it; however faint. It's killing me with this damn rubber smell. Is there any other type of plug I can get for this size opening? Has anyone else experienced this? Am I not doing something with these rubber bungs? This reisling is really turning out and if that smell doesn't fade out during bottling time....I have never done this with any of my plugs but could soaking in star san help? Maybe I'll try that..also another question. This reisling started with an OG of 1.080 and is now 1.007. Racked to secondary on 5/2 and racked again today. I used wyeast sweet white. Is it "done" I used lavlin AMH on the blackberry and it went below 1.0 so I am wondering since this is a "sweet wine " yeast if it is considered done

What about the orange caps? Would they fit your needs?

450x450ximage_2954.jpg.pagespeed.ic.zBzuO8FLy_.jpg

You can get cork plugs which allow the wine to breath a little when ageing, that's what I always use!

I found those bucket shaped stoppers that are claiming to be small enough to fit 3,5 and 6 gal glass carboy. "Small universal stopper" drilled. I use "medium universal" on my plastic ones. They don't smell at all. Hope it fits...

Try boiling the stopper in water to reduce the smell. Never had an issue with the smell getting into beer.

See if these other ones fit right. They never smell. ILL have to try boiling them if I have to use them again

Does anyone know if it's DONE fermenting? OG 1.080 and now two months later it's at 1.007. Used the wyeast sweet white yeast. Was curious if that's where it's finished at since it's supposed to be sweet not dry

Back