Rubber stopper in primary?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL41R

Reaction score
Brew partner pushed the rubber cork too hard and it ended up right inside our glass carboy. Obviously, we can't put the airlock and blow tube on anymore.
What do you suggest? ATM we have a piece of foil over the top of carboy.
Will the rubber stopper have an effect on our brew?
(For what its worth, it is a white/tan rubber stopper.. not black)

Thanks in advance. :mad:

Not the first time it's happened. You'll most likely be fine. Get a new bung and airlock on there soon if you can. FYI,there are also videos around for getting the bung back out. Good luck.

I've done it in my primary and secondary. Used some Saran Wrap as a temp seal and it turned out like it never happened.
As for getting it out, long needle nose pliers or figure out a way to cut it up inside and bring it out in pieces. Good luck.

The Bufe

On my second batch of beer I pitched the yeast and was shaking the carboy like crazy aerate it with the stopper in the top, I accidentally pushed on the stopper a bit too much sending it tumbling into the beer. Naturally I freaked out, my first thought was I have to get this thing covered asap, decided on foil over saran wrap because it was about 10:00 PM with work the next day, I wasn't going to be able to get a new plug until around 6:00PM after work.

I was really worried about it, I got off work a little early and made it to the shop before they closed, picked up about 5 of those plugs so I never ran into this situation again and went home, replaced the plug with the airlock and continued to worry over the next few weeks about what I had done to my poor, undeserving beer.

You'd never guess what happened though... The beer tasted perfect. It's like nothing had happened and it is sorta like the age old tale that you read time and time again, beer isn't as fragile as you think, just go with the flow because mistakes will happen. 20 hours with foil on top while active fermentation was ongoing and a rubber stopper inside it had no ill effects on the beer.

Best of luck to you, it'll turn out fine, my stopped popped right out when I was cleaning the carboy (well, I had to tug on it a little) and went right into the trash since obviously it was just a little too small.

Indeed, you should be fine as that stopper was sanitized (I would hope) before it went whole hog into the beer. Get another stopper on there when you can and in the mean time, you can Macgyver your own blowoff with saran wrap/foil and a length of rubber tubing.

I almost had this happen.. I grabbed my drill made a very small hole as top speed and slowly threaded a winebottle decorker. However after I completed this I could have really messed up the brew, if I ended up with some rubber shavings inside of it.

This video shows a pretty cool way to remove the stopper without cutting it up. Enjoy!

[ame="http://youtu.be/TUSx0xN_R3o"]http://youtu.be/TUSx0xN_R3o[/ame]

Back