Rubber Stopper in fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amadeo38

Reaction score
My rubber stopper for the air lock went into my glass carboy too far and ended up going into the wort and sinking to the bottom. This is a fresh batch I just brewed. If I leave it and use another stopper, will the stopper produce any off flavors in the beer during fermentation? Is it worth pouting the wort out into my bottling bucket and fishing it out of the bottle before I pitch yeast?

Did this. Don't worry about it. Nothing to do till the beer is finished fermenting.

Just use a new sanitized stopper. The beer will not get off favors from this. At least mine did not. (A brown ale I believe)

When you rack the beer from your fermentor to the bottling bucket or keg you can get it out using a plastic bag in seconds. Easy as pie.

In the interim don't give it another thought.

You are awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I will pitch yeast as planned.

This is my first all grain batch...how much head space do I need to leave in the carboy? This batch made way more than 6 gallons for some reason but the OG is spot on.

You are awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I will pitch yeast as planned.

This is my first all grain batch...how much head space do I need to leave in the carboy? This batch made way more than 6 gallons for some reason but the OG is spot on.

It really depends on a few things.

The type of yeast is important. A top cropping yeast like WPL300 for weissebiers needs a lot. Usually 33% is recommended but I use it with less. No problems yet.

Fermentation temperature is also important. Too warm can lead to a rapid ferment with a larger krausen than normal.

For all my beers I have 5.5 US gallons in 6 gallon carboys.

6 gallon batches in a bucket (7.5USG) should be fine. 6 gallons in a carboy like mine could be a problem. Put a blowoff tube on instead of a bung and airlock if you have one. This will largely solve both problems in one.

Also on the stopper thing. The stoppers don't stick well when they are wet and the carboy is wet (both wet with star-san). I switched to carboy caps.

this is a pic of 5.5USG of Hefeweizen at peak of krausen in a 6 gallon Carboy for reference

DSC02048.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I filled a glass 6g carboy close to the top of the cylindrical portion, about 3 inches below where it starts to taper toward the neck. I have large diameter blowoff tube leading to a bucket of star san, and it's a 1.062 OG IPA (6.something% abv).

Back