Rubber Stopper Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
So I'm racking my amber ale to the secondary and everything is going amazingly smoothly. I'm on the way to the best batch of beer I've ever made. I got it all siphoned in, went to put the fermentation lock on and pushed the rubber stopper all the way into the carboy.

After I have bottled my "rubber stopper beer" does anyone have any advice on how to get the stopper back out of the carboy? My first thought is that it could be a long and arduous process unless I can figure out the right tool to do it with.

Drop a corner of a dish towel in there, and then get the bung to roll onto the towel, then just yank er out. Seriously.

Or just leave it in. It'll sterilize with the inside of the carboy. You'll be making "Falsie" beer- tastes like rubber !

casebrew said:
Or just leave it in. It'll sterilize with the inside of the carboy. You'll be making "Falsie" beer- tastes like rubber !

That's partly what I'm worried about. Hope the beer doesn't taste like rubber. I guess I'm more concerned about getting it out once the beer is out of the carboy. Do you think I should put in in another carboy now, or just leave it?

Once the ale is done and you've flushed out the carboy, turn it neck down and shake the stopper into the neck. Poke a slightly bent coat hanger into the hole and hook the bottom of the stopper with the bent portion.

Get larger stopper.

Any cooties that were on the outward side of the stopper will already be in the beer, though you'll probably be fine.

As for rubber taste?? Hard to say. Probably wouldn't do a long term rest on the rubber if I was you.

Just siphon into another carboy if it worries you.

Stoppers aren't rubber, are they? Aren't they neoprene or some space-age plastic??? ie, there's a good chance it won't add any "rubber" flavour??

homebrewer_99 said:
One of my tips is to push your airlock into the bung FIRST then push the bung into the carboy opening.

The airlock will stretch the bung and make it wider than the opening in the carboy thus eliminating this "bung beer phenomenon".

I have always done this method and never pushed one in.........yet:D

Latest posts

Back