rubber coated pony keg for HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncobum

Reaction score
I am about to make the jump to AG, and have a line on a miller rubber coated 7.5 gal. keg for a HLT. I am wondering if this is big enough for 5 gal. batches? I plan to use a 1500-2000w 120v electric element to heat it. I am figuring the rubber would take care of the insulation, and 7.5 gallons would be fairly quick to mash/sparge temps with that element (no 220v in the garage, no space on the panel to put it in). So am I way off base here, or does this sound do-able?

Should be fine. BK used one in his simple brewery and reported good results. Most of my 5g batches call for less than 7g for strike/sparge (each) That does nearly max it out but most batches are like ~5 gallons strike, ~4 sparge (batch). I have a barleywine that's 7g strike and 3.5 sparge, but you can always mash a little thicker and use a little more sparge water. Remember that cutting the top off reduces your water capacity a bit.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simple-brewing-est-2009-build-147021/

cool, good to hear. I am probably getting it for nothing, so if it doesn't work I will only be out the cost of the heating element.

Latest posts

Back