Rubber band taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinolsen84

Reaction score
I have brewed several batches. All of my extract beers and now my all grain has a rubber band /latex flavor. Anyone know why? I sanitize well. I am thinking hot fermentation. Ideas?

On also, if using tap water how do you treat it? Chlorinated water can be a culprit, I think.

Putting the fermenter in a vessel of water, like a Rubbermaid tote (I used to use my brew kettle) will help dampen any temperature swings. Search for the 'swamp cooler' fermentation control on the forums. Even if you ferment a few degrees warm, consistent temps will produce fewer off flavors than temp swings. And remember the inside of your fermentation vessel is likely 5 degrees hotter than ambient air so that 67 has turned into 72 during the vigorous start of fermentation where most off flavors are produced. Kyle

On also, if using tap water how do you treat it? Chlorinated water can be a culprit, I think.

This. I just had to dump 10 gallons of beer because of this. I moved into a new house in a new county and tired brewing with the water. It made a terrible beer and was how you described. It's Chloramine. You can use Campden tablets during the boil or just use spring water or whatever bottled water you want.

If you boil your water, chlorine should not be an issue. Chloramine will be an issue and then you need the Campden tablets

These flavors can also be caused by wild yeast contamination anywhere along the line. And slow starts by your regular yeast will allow the baddies to do some damage before being destroyed by the main fermentation process.

I have a troubleshooting chart and section on my site

http://www.thegreatmaibockaddict.com/troubleshooting.shtml

I've had one batch that had a rubber/bandaid thing going on. I attributed it to overstressing the yeast and bad fermentation temps. I think that batch swung between like 70 and 80 a few times. It was very early into my brewing and it was a Belgian yeast so I wasn't too concerned at the time. It took months for the flavor to vanish

Back