Roxton Garage/Brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
West Side. J isn't Jason, is it?

Nope, Jon. I just started brewing a year ago and am gathering components for my own brew rig. Seen your intriguing thread and noticed you were local. Small world. I see you're going to Gambrinus as well, Maybe I'll catch you there sometime. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Nice! Thanks!

Why did you mount it so far from the bottom of the keg? It seems like you'd have to have a completely full (or nearly completely full) HLT? I was thinking of mounting mine so that the bottom port is at the top of the lower 1/3 of the keg... Just curious...

i wondered this as well. maybe b/c of the electric element? i would think it could still have been mounted lower.

It could have been mounted lower. Part of the problem was just bad planning.
I had actually punched the top hole before I had finished the coil and thought I would have about 25 to 30% more coils in it. I thought it would have been taller and that the bottom would have been lower.
Next one I build will be better.
Oh well, I will just have to put more water in to cover it. I am using a 5500 element, so I don't worry about heating the extra water.

aaaahhh, no worries! Looks fine, I was just wondering if there was a strategic advantage to it that I hadnt thought of. Thanks

Thanks to RB, I'm now back into brewing. So much so, that I just volunteered myself to be in charge of the control box. RB was gracious enough to accept my offer so now we're going to be "partners".

The first item I needed was the box itself. We wanted to keep it all SS and since those can be rather pricey, I decided to build it myself. I work at a wholesale food distributor (where his rig table came from) and we have a large pile of scrap metal around back from where we do freezer/dishwasher/etc installs. There was a 12ft long SS sandwich prep station that's been sitting for two years and the drawers from that made the perfect raw materials. I then bought some SS mig wire and started cutting/welding/grinding.

controlbox6jpg

controlbox5.jpg

I'm less than a novice welder so flap disks are my friends. I have to mount the back plate, make/install the door and figure out how to mount it to the rig. I've got most of the internals ordered so in the next week or two, I can also start wiring. RB will also have to do his special polishing routine to this baby so it will shine like his keggles.

-casey

Subscribed! Needs more pictures ;) Btw.. your garage looks nicer than my kitchen right now :(

I made some more progress tonight.

I made the backplate from a computer case cover from the first computer I owned. I got it 1993. I'm glad I hung on to it. Never throw away any metal. It'll be useful sometime.

controlbox7.jpg

Remove two set screws and you'll be able to remove the box from the mounting pole if you want.

controlbox8.jpg

Rounded off the straps a little.
controlbox9.jpg

I found these great collars in the scrap pile at work.
controlbox10.jpg

It was a pretty good night in the building. Now all I have left to do is to wait from the SS hinge to arrive and figure out how to mount it to the rig table.

Decided to change out the QC on the keggles.
The ones I had been getting were really getting expensive.
Went with the cam/groove option.
Should work well.

image-1614609096.jpg

Have had to put the build on hold.
When the wife wants you to put down 1500 sq ft of wood floors, you have to go with it if she is on board for your brewery build.

lonepalm,
I do not have a parts list made up, but I actually used Kal's build as a guide.

You can find his build here..........

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

He has the best site for following an electric build.
I "stole" a lot of his ideas. He has a good parts list to follow.

If you need additional info, you can PM me and i will be happy to help an any way possible.

I have been told that if you are going to do something, do it right the first time.
I have also been told that I always go overboard on everything I build.

I guess there is a little truth to it.
I just figure SS will give it that "cool" look.

I have been told that if you are going to do something, do it right the first time.
I have also been told that I always go overboard on everything I build.

I guess there is a little truth to it.
I just figure SS will give it that "cool" look.

I hear you... I've been gathering parts for a modified version of Kal's build (less amp meter and volt meter)... when it was all said and done, I was $50 in parts away from duplicating his plan exactly, so I said F-it and I just bought those parts now too!

Might as well go with a tried and true system!

Got the control panel from Squatch, and it looks great. He did a wonderful job putting it together.
Got it polished and ready to be wired.

image-1439180837.jpg

Great looking build thus far getting me motivated to start back again on my eHERMS build too....think I have a few honey do list things to tackle first myself....and a few more loads of wood for winter, keep us posted looks great!!!

All of the components are in. I started wiring it last night. I'm going to take my time and test it out as I go so there won't be (hopefully) any surprises at the end. The main power relay and the power switch works. I must say, the CLUNK it makes when you turn it on is quite satisfying. I'll post more as I get further along.

image-3542533683.jpg

And the wiring continues. It sure takes a long time. I still have a lot of organizing to do but that should be pretty easy since I have been paying attention to wire length. Everything works so far and I've been lucky and kept all of the magic smoke inside the components.
panel1.jpg

Ok, getting back on track working on this project. Getting the other more important ones (priority set by SWIMBO) around the house done, so I can concentrate more on this one.

Table/Brewstand is almost done. Got the legs cut to lower the height and to accommodate the casters.
Still need to punch holes for control panel mount and paths for wiring/hoses.

image-975958919.jpg

The control panel is taking shape.

image-53306334.jpg

And all the hardware and tubes have been added to the keggles.

image-2273076894.jpg

image-898659218.jpg

image-1639607602.jpg

Attachments

• image-1873404074.jpg
    image-1873404074.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,790
The controllers and timer have power now. This is really helping with two people attacking this build. I have to wire the alarm circuit and the temperature probes and the control panel will be done.

pid2.jpg

Subscribed. Your thread has me rethinking going with Blichmann kettles on Kal's plans. The converted and polished Sanke's just look so much better IMO.

Beautiful job so far, I'm going down this exact same path very soon. Like yourself, I find myself juggling other projects as well, especially those that my wife puts to the top of the list. She has been supportive of my brewing and my brewing projects, so I have to keep her happy. I'm just wrapping up my basement finishing project and then I'm building the brewery on the unfinished side of my basement this winter. Just started the keggle conversions, but realized that I need to finish one project (the drop ceiling in my basement) before I start another. I have read every last bit of Kals website and find it to be an excellent resource. Again, great work on your build and I look forward to more pics as it progresses. :mug:

More progress to report. The control panel is now mounted to the table!

We decided this was the best mounting point. It can swing back when it's being stored.
mount2.jpg

The pipe grommet (McMaster-Carr for $1.67) makes for a clean installation.
mount1.jpg

The welds should polish nicely since I used stainless steel welding wire.
mount3.jpg

The mounting points are very sturdy. If I have to, I can add some more but that will make that one leg permanent. That's why there is only two.
mount4.jpg

Backside shot.
mount5.jpg

Well, we are getting closer and closer.
Just need to finish up a little bit of the wiring from the panel and add the pumps/chiller.

5271-img-9479.jpg

5272-img-9483.jpg

This is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life! Are you following any sort of plan with this? If so, is there any detailed information on the web for this type of set up? What is the cost behind this setup?

We followed a lot of Kal's build on www.theelectricbrewery.com but added a bit of our own designs in it.

There are 100s of threads to help you out on this site. I don't think I would have even tried this without help from here and people local with previous experience.

BTW, welcome to Homebrewtalk.
Great place to learn.

Nice rig!! I need to polish up my keggles, but I hardly use them anymore.

Back