Rough brew day yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleev-les

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What better place to share a story about a crazy day. Started my brew day with my mash and boil and was planning on a 2 step mash. 25 minutes at 122 degrees then recipe called for 90 minutes at 152. After the first step, I adjust temp and around 135 I get an E4 error code. Carefully checked the reset button on the bottom and restarted the system. Still nothing, just kept going back to E4 and shutting down. Being determined to not lose a brew day, I rushed out to the local homebrew store and bought a Grainfather. I've got to say, such a better system than the Mash and Boil. After a messy transfer of all the grain and wort I continued my brew day and hopefully all turns out. It will be a while before I know since I brewed an Octoberfest Lager. After emptying the Mash and Boil the center where the burners sit was scorched black. Not sure how that is even possible since there was plenty of wort in the vessel so not like the pump pulled too much out and wasn't performing a solid recirc. I'm hoping there is something I can replace on the M&B if its just a faulty part. I'm more than happy with the grainfather since it holds mash temps a lot more consistently, better controller and a built in pump is nice. Also love that it comes with a counterflow chiller. A hell of a day turned in to a new toy so not all bad. If anyone has any incite on the MB and what could have failed, I'd love to know. I checked the small fuseable link and it has continuity so its not that. Maybe just a safety shut down due to the burnt wort on the element? Still find it odd that that even happened.

That sucks. I have a M&B and in 25 brews (extract and all grain) never had the code. Maybe in the future I would look into something better yes regarding more accurate temperature control. Still learning to get decent efficiency.

That sucks. I have a M&B and in 25 brews (extract and all grain) never had the code. Maybe in the future I would look into something better yes regarding more accurate temperature control. Still learning to get decent efficiency.

I've got about 10 brews in it so far and have liked the M&B. Not sure why it burned so bad this go around. I'm hoping it was a fluke thing. Tonight or tomorrow I'm planning on putting water in it and seeing if it works. If so, I'll offload it. I put a meter to the switch and fuseable link and both read good so can only be the scorched top. I've cleaned most of the burn off.

LOL, you're hard-core man.......i'd probably have just tried stiring it really fast for friction.....lol

I don't mess around lol. Just sucks because my long term goal is a 10 gallon brew system. Got plenty of time to upgrade my entire setup though.

One can only hope this 'Fest bier doesn't taste like the bottom of that Mash & Boil unit :eek:

Oh man.... Don't start my Monday off with that lolol.. I think it's fine. The wort smelled great and no noticeable taste of burn in it. As of this morning I'm starting to get a little kraussen on it. Not much air lock activitiy, but expecting the slower reaction with the lager yeast. Used White Labs WLP830 German Lager.

Brew day stopped by error code? "oh what a world"

While I admire your perseverance, seems like a case for having manual option.

But maybe you really wanted a Grainfather anyway.

Brew day stopped by error code? "oh what a world"

While I admire your perseverance, seems like a case for having manual option.

But maybe you really wanted a Grainfather anyway.

Wasn't going to buy the same thing twice :).. But the day only interrupted, not stopped. The more I think about it and looking back, I'm wondering if the grain crush was too fine. I did notice a very thick paste on the bottom of the kettle after I transfered over to the grainfather. Wondering if that burnt onto the element and it wasn't a system fault, just overheat protection.

wow lol that's one way to fix it! I'm still in the stone ages of a 3 vessel manual system. It's not fancy but there's never any error codes ;)

Did the wort taste alright going into the fermentor? At this point that's the only real way to judge if it has a scorched/burnt flavor.

I did notice a very thick paste on the bottom of the kettle after I transfered over to the grainfather. Wondering if that burnt onto the element and it wasn't a system fault, just overheat protection.
Could well be.
Doesn't the manual have an error code list? Website?
That could help with troubleshooting.

Now you have one, enjoy your Grainfather!
Once you fix your M&B, you can now brew 10 gallon batches. Or brew 2 different 5 gallon ones, side by side.

Such a lame excuse for rushing out and buying a Grainfather though... ;)

I'm still in the stone ages of a 3 vessel manual system. It's not fancy but there's never any error codes

i just have a 2 vessel system... But when i was trying to cut costs by using 5 lb's of flour in the mash...It threw an error code here and there ;)

had to keep hitting the 'reset button' (i.e. blowing into the drain tube)

wow lol that's one way to fix it! I'm still in the stone ages of a 3 vessel manual system. It's not fancy but there's never any error codes ;)

Did the wort taste alright going into the fermentor? At this point that's the only real way to judge if it has a scorched/burnt flavor.

Yup, tasted fine going in so not worried about a scorched wort.

Could well be.
Doesn't the manual have an error code list? Website?
That could help with troubleshooting.

Now you have one, enjoy your Grainfather!
Once you fix your M&B, you can now brew 10 gallon batches. Or brew 2 different 5 gallon ones, side by side.

Such a lame excuse for rushing out and buying a Grainfather though... ;)

E4 code was fuseable link or element error. Couldn't troubleshoot full of grain and wort. Check the link and reset with a meter and all checked out after i emptied it and cleaned out the residual. So unless the controller itself went up I should be good to go. If it is ok, just going to sell it to recoup some of the GF cost. I am loving the GF so not a bad purchase. Eventually I am going to upgrade everything to larger volume. Could keep both and do as you said, but I'll stick to a single 5 for now :)

William's Brewing said:
The heating element is protected by two things - a 5 degree differential to prevent short cycling, and a thermal cutoff switch that cuts off power if it senses the bottom of the boiler getting too hot.
That last one could be invoked if there's a substantial amount of residue caked onto the bottom, as it may have in your case.

Latest posts

Back