ROOTBEER KEGING....HELP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
OK SO I HAVE BEEN BREWING BEER FOE A FEW YEARS NOW AND GOT IT DOWN TO A SCIENCE. SO MY OLE LADY IS ITCHING ABOUT WHY DONT YOU MAKE ME SOMETHING...SHE DONT LIKE BEER SO SHE WANTS ROOTBEER. IM JUST GONNA MAKE A KIT FROM MORE BEER. SO IM GOING TO KEG IT AND BEEN KEGGING BEER SINCE THE BIGINNING. SO I GUESS ALL I AM ASKING IS WHAT PRESSURES DO I NEED TO RUN I THINK I HAVE SEEN THEY NEED TO BE HIGHER THAN BEER BUT WHAT??? I NORMALLY DO SATURATION CARBONATION NOT A BIG FAN OF FORCE CARB. SO WHAT IS SERVING PRESSURE FOR ROOTBEER????

Root beer and other sodas generally are at 30 psi or so, at 40 degrees. You’ll need about 25-30 feet of 3/16” beer line to serve.
10-4 SO CAN I POUR FROM A TAP IN MY KEEZER. LIKE A FAUCET OUR OF THE FRONT? A PERLICK OR WHAT NOT

10-4 SO CAN I POUR FROM A TAP IN MY KEEZER. LIKE A FAUCET OUR OF THE FRONT? A PERLICK OR WHAT NOT

Yes, you can pour from the tap. But as yooper said, you'll need 30-40 feet of beer line to reduce the pressure before it gets to the tap. Otherwise, it'll be very foamy.

Also, please typing in all caps. It's annoying.

Yes, you can pour from the tap. But as yooper said, you'll need 30-40 feet of beer line to reduce the pressure before it gets to the tap. Otherwise, it'll be very foamy.

Also, please typing in all caps. It's annoying.
haha sorry for the caps. just used to it from work. and that's no problem for that length of line.

I carbonate my sodas with a Blichmann rig to 23lbs at 40°, and after it's set reduce the pressure to around 8-13lbs. I think they are just fine, but YMMV. I used to shake the bejeezus out of them, and was very happy to move to the Blichmann.

The only problem I have with foaming is if I forget to bleed off the tank. When that happens, I pop the PRV until it's not an issue. I make minor adjustments as needed, but that's about it.

I serve from a party tap on 1-5' of 3/16" line, keeping the temp around 40°. I'm known to be fussy in some regards, but this range of carbonation floats my boat.

So my cousin that lives with me can't drink beer because of meds he is on, and root beer is his "beer"

I tried a few different extracts and the best to me (us) was The Big H. Home style rootbeer:
https://www.hiresbigh.com/homemade-rootbeer-recipe

We also have to make it diet-ish so I us Splenda and maltodextrin for body/ mouth feel.

I mix ith a 5 gal keg, carb the crap out of it and transfer to PET bottles. He loves it and I drink it on floats, lol

Back