Root beer keg reuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
All,

I think I messed up. I had a root beer keg that I was going to reuse for beer. I replaced the o-rings (large and both on the in and out connectors), but I neglected to replace the oring in the poppets, around the long diptube and the gas tube.

I tested the beer tonight, and I could have SWORN I smelled root beer. This is a porter that's in this keg, so I'm not sure if I smelled the beer or simply root beer. Anyway, I guess my question is two-fold:

1. Is not replacing the pieces that I mentioned enough to ruin the flavor of the beer.

2. Is it too late to replace all of the pieces mentioned? I could dismantle the keg, but that's going to require me to remove the tubes and everything...

Thanks!

Along with the dip tube o-rings, did you actually scrub the Out dip tube after the root beer exposure?

If you're reasonably careful and plan ahead you can certainly remove all of the keg parts to the sink, cover the keg top with foil, clean the crap out of the keg bits, replace what wasn't already replaced, and put the keg back together, even full of beer...

Cheers!

The only thing I did for the dip tube was run hot water through it and sanitizer. What's a good way to clean it? Mine has a bend in it, so I'm not sure what kind of brush to use if there is such a thing...

Ah..nevermind..I found this:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/wine...ing/cleaning-equipment/liquid-tube-brush.html

Do you think it's too late to salvage this beer? The dip tube has been sitting in the beer for about 3 days...If it's not too late, I could order this brush tonight and then remove everything as you said...

You're going to want to have a tube brush anyway. As for this batch, the longer it's exposed to the old root beer character it's going to get worse, so I'd go ahead and do the best you can while it might still matter...

Cheers!

Thanks! So I'm going to order a couple more poppets, orings for the dip tube and gas in tube, and a dip tube brush. Hopefully after replacing this, the root beer taste/smell will be gone. Surely I wouldn't have to replace the orings on the disconnects again or the keg lid again, right? And I don't have to replace the metal parts like the disconnects, dip tubes, etc?

You shouldn't need to replace all the rings you already replaced, at worst they've been exposed to very diluted root beer character for a short time. Definitely don't need to replace any metal bits, just need to clean them thoroughly...

Cheers!

Another thing, did you rinse the keg before you filled it or did you actually let it sit in PBW for some time? I noticed a rinse is not enough for root beer. You technically want a caustic wash but PBW is caustic just not to the level of harm if it hits your skin. An overnight soak and even a brush inside will help.

Also, that dip tube brush was a good purchase as far as I'm concerned. For hoppy beers where some debris gets stuck, that brush was easy to use and a lifesaver.

Thanks everyone. I bought everything I needed today at lunch. I also learned that there is a replaceable oring inside of the QD. I didn't realize that so I bought one of those as well. The lhbs seems to think that may be the one causing the problem because of the way the liquid sits in the QD. Hopefully that's it :) if not, I'm ready to dismantle.

I washed the keg out with oxyclean and then starsan and let it sit. I didn't let it sit overnight though.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm happy to report that I took the QD apart and replaced the oring. I also found the small plastic piece that fit inside the spring smelled like root beer. I didn't have this piece, so I replaced it with another QD that I had for a picnic tap. After replacing it and the oring, I was able to actually taste beer and no trace of root beer. I'm hoping that this is the cause of everything, so I'll taste it again in a couple of days.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

I jumped the gun :) I decided to test it again this morning and there's a slight hint, so I'm going to dismantle the keg tonight and replace the poppets, orings around the dip tube and gas tube and clean the dip tube.

I bought some universal poppets yesterday. Have you had any experience with those? Are they decent?

Have you also considered it could be the line?

Everyone talks about replacing the o-rings and rubber portions, but considering the surface area of all the rubber seals that actually come in contact with the root beer vs. the surface area of line that comes in contact with the root beer, which is greater and which do you expect to soak up more flavor?

Just a thought.

^that^ is surely true; but the assumption (here, at least) was the OP hadn't run enough beer through his system to have twanged it that much already. But if he's picking up the scent (so to speak) from a QD already, you're right, the tubing is likely compromised.

It's a testimony to just how potent root beer can be (and why when given the choice it's never a bad idea to buy the keg that didn't have root beer in it)...

Cheers!

Yes, I replaced the tubing when I replaced the orings. I replaced all of the other parts last night in the keg, and I took the diptube out to clean it with my new brush - that made a difference. I tested it this morning and it's not as strong, so now there is nothing in the keg that has ever touched root beer except the beer :) I'm going to wait it out at this point and see how it tastes after it's carbed up.

Those universal poppets worked out well too. It's a little harder to get the fittings on the keg because you have to press down harder due to the spring being tight, but no leaks or anything...

Back