Root Beer, emphasis on the Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustaine34

Reaction score
Hey all,

I searched the forums but didnt see this situation discussed anywhere (well, not the methods I used...)

I went to the LHBS the other day to pick up some yeast for a Double IPA and while there my buddy started chatting with the guy about making a root beer beer... he sold him some stuff and jotted down a plan for him and home we went.

Here is the plan as the LHBS owner told us.

Dissolve 3 pounds of Light DME and 2 pounds of table sugar in almost boiling water.

Cool to 100 degrees

Fill primary fermenter to 4 gallons

Add RootBeer extract
Add 2 teaspoons of yeast energizer
Add 1 package of dry champagne yeast.

Seal and wait.

Then carb as per usual with 5 oz of priming sugar.

What do you guys think of this? Wont the yeast eat all of the sugars during fermentation and then again in carbing and strip this brew of its sweetness?

I've made root beer before with a similar recipe as yours but just let it ferment for a few days and then refrigerated which resulted in light carbonation but no real alcohol to speak of. It had a bit of an odd flavor from the champagne yeast. I've never tied to go the more "beer" route.

You should take this and post it in "Root Beer...Beer" thread. You and Gtrfrk could exchange notes and figure this thing out.

my homemade rootbbeer won't turn dark brown.I followed recipe exactly. why is it
staying clear? (after three days)

Latest posts

Back