Room temperature homebrew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teufelhunde

Reaction score
First of all, I find that I like my homebrewed beer better than anything I can find in the store. I usually chill two bottles at a time for the evening, but every once in a while, I get to the end of the second one and really want another. I have found that with my really fruity, not really bitter IPA's, that I can drink them OK at room temperature. Not quite as good as ice cold in a frosted glass, but still good.

Anyone else enjoy a room temperature pint from time to time?

When a teen and underage, we frequently enjoyed beer at room temps. Not sure why homebrew would be any different.

Even today I don't mind a warm beer. But some seem to flat quicker and that's a problem for me.

First of all, I find that I like my homebrewed beer better than anything I can find in the store. I usually chill two bottles at a time for the evening, but every once in a while, I get to the end of the second one and really want another. I have found that with my really fruity, not really bitter IPA's, that I can drink them OK at room temperature. Not quite as good as ice cold in a frosted glass, but still good.

Anyone else enjoy a room temperature pint from time to time?
When I quaff a bomber, I will, from time to time, find myself drinking the last few guzzles at room temp.

I think it's amazing how much a beer's character changes from cold to room temp.

Drinking ice cold HB might be considered counter-productive as the ability to taste what you made is reduced.
My "room temperature" is my basement and only slightly higher than optimum serving temperature.

I’m in the “No” camp, as well. But not ice cold, either! Depends on style for me. A pilsner or kolsch in the summer - a little cooler. A porter in the winter - a little warmer.

I don’t bat an eye at room temp beer. It’s not my absolute favorite, but I find it tasty nonetheless. IPAs are a bit rough, but I don’t hesitate to grab one of my stouts or porters if I forgot to restock the fridge.

The craziest warm beer situation I have ever seen is still watching my friends dad climb out of the combine, walk over to his truck and proceed to slug down three Pigseyes. Those things had been sitting in the box of his truck all day, for God knows how many days. He still remains one of my lesser heroes.

I don’t bat an eye at room temp beer. It’s not my absolute favorite, but I find it tasty nonetheless. IPAs are a bit rough, but I don’t hesitate to grab one of my stouts or porters if I forgot to restock the fridge.

The craziest warm beer situation I have ever seen is still watching my friends dad climb out of the combine, walk over to his truck and proceed to slug down three Pigseyes. Those things had been sitting in the box of his truck all day, for God knows how many days. He still remains one of my lesser heroes.
We have a group of friends who come hunt pheasants at our farm every year. They’ve been coming for over 35 years now. Many years ago, I remember them bringing some Pigseyes. I don’t remember them being that good cold, let alone harvest field hot. Had a pirate on the can if I remember correctly.

We have a group of friends who come hunt pheasants at our farm every year. They’ve been coming for over 35 years now. Many years ago, I remember them bringing some Pigseyes. I don’t remember them being that good cold, let alone harvest field hot. Had a pirate on the can if I remember correctly.
Yep, they were rough on the best of days. I’m fairly certain the only reason this particular guy drank it was because it was cheap and because we wouldn’t touch them. My old man owned a bar for a couple decades and I can’t only think of one guy that would come in regularly and order it. He specifically kept it around for that one customer.

I think I was in the 7th grade, I packed off with a can of my Dad’s beer and hid it down in the basement shop. We had a workbench and paint cans, garden stuff. Easy to hide a can of beer there. Probably was a can of Miller, I remember the gold colored can.

So a week or two went by while I was waiting for a time when my parents and siblings were all out of the house at the same time to test if I liked beer. Not easy in a house of 6 people.

Finally, everyone was gone, and I reached up to find my hidden can of beer up on the shelf behind the snail bait and spray paint cans.

I pulled it down, yes it was warm, I popped the can open and took my first chug of warm domestic fizzy yellow lager, right out of the can. It was the worst thing I’d ever tasted!!!

Had a pirate on the can if I remember correctly.
St. Paul's finest!

1632500517694.png

Attachments

• 1632500344748.png
    1632500344748.png
    445.8 KB · Views: 4
I have developed a fondness for room temperature beer. Years back I worked at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. My first season, my dorm room didn't have a fridge, so for months I mostly drank what the McMurdo store sold, mostly New Zealand ales like Speights and Tui, at room temperature.

I just had a beer today called "mother-in-law" it was an IPL. I wasn't t sure why they named it this then I had a jolt of inspiration. My wife almost choked on her dinner when I said: "Oh I get it, mother-in-law, both enjoyed best when they're cold!"

True story

I guess I shouldn't relate the story of a summer when in college, my friends parents raised stepping horses and cattle. I'd go help them haul and stack hay on some weekends and we'd drink several six packs of beer that was just sitting in the truck with no cooler.

After working that hard, it tasted pretty good. Even at what must have been almost 100°F. Maybe because it was Stroh's fire brewed beer, that made it better!

My local hero, a guy who runs a little shop that stocks exotic beers from all over the country, (brews from Vermont on the coast of Oregon, e.g.) tells me, "You should never drink a stout cold; you should keep it at room temperature, and pour it into an ice cold glass. That way you don't lose the subtle flavors in the brew." Hey, what do I know? So I drink 'em that way, and they taste great.

I love drinking my FG samples. Does that count? BTW, my dad switched from keeping a keg in the house to cans of PigsEye Lean when my brother and I were teenagers. I never stole one, but he gave me one when I was around 19. It was awful, worse than the Milwaukee’s Best Light and Bush Lattes I was used to.

Back