Rookie racking cane question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

57plymouth

Reaction score
I broke my third racking cane yesterday.

It occurs to me that I have a good section of 1/2 inch aluminum fuel line in the garage leftover from a truck I built. It's never been used, and it's just hanging in a coil on the garage wall. The cane I broke is 1/2 inch, so why can't I use this aluminum after a good scrubbing and sanitizing? It won't break on me like my last three did.

Bad idea? Good idea?

No idea about the aluminum, but how did you break 3 racking canes? I am very curious.

(I will mention that although I have never broke a hydrometer, I somehow broke the little cylinder that you float it in... which is just odd imho.)

I have browkn two and thn switched to a Stainless steel one. I imagine aluminum would work just as well.

And both of my plastic ones broke when I was trying pull the polytubing off the cane.

Well, to be honest my daughter broke one while she was playing with it. I stepped on the first one after I dropped it, and the one I broke most recently was trying to pull the tubing off the cane.

I don't know, but aluminum and acidic beer just don't seem to go together for me. Stainless steel racking canes? Sure. But aluminum? I don't think I'd do that.

Well, as for the prying it issue, I would recommend running it under hot (tap) water before removing it, to soften the tubing. (Which is what I have to do in order to get the darn thing in the tube in the first place... and a new practice for removing it from this point on.)

I bought a second racking cane since mine was jamming up. The nice lady who sold me the second one explained how to fix the first. I still bought a new one.

As for the stepping, and the kid, well we both know how to fix that... I think a dedicated brew space with locked cabinets and meticulously organized shelving is in order. I will send you finance person a message :D

- I have to admit there were some chemistry warning messages flying through my head with the aluminum possibility, but it has been 4 years since I did a chem lab of any sort, and I am too rusty to comment from a scientific point of view. I vote trust Yooper :D

There was a post on here that expelled the myths about aluminum brewing pots. All you'd need to do is boil the pot for an hour to build up an ion level on the bottom (may be getting my science wrong on that but I think thats what it said). So, I wonder if that would work for a racking cane as well? Although, I've found running hot tap water over the hose thats stuck to the cane helps work it off. Also, you could try this:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/flyguys-t-siphon-3-replacement-autosiphon-25774/

John Palmer was talking about aluminum on the metals episode of brewstrong. I think you would be fine, I think he was saying that you just need to passivate the aluminum.

I would buy a ss cane just because they are only 15 bucks locally, however the aluminum would work fine as well. Its not like the beer is going to be in contact with the cane for more than a minute or two anyhow.... ever drink a beer from an aluminum can?.. I think you will be fine.

I would buy a ss cane just because they are only 15 bucks locally, however the aluminum would work fine as well. Its not like the beer is going to be in contact with the cane for more than a minute or two anyhow.... ever drink a beer from an aluminum can?.. I think you will be fine.
i agree with this post entirely. Aluminum is FINE for all brewing purposes. Just boil the hell out of the stuff and clean it really well.

I will also say that i too have broken 2 racking canes AND the cane for my auto-siphon (just last night) when trying to clean up everything. That bend makes getting the hoses off a ***** of a task. I have one SS racking cane right now and i'm in love with it. I want to move the rubber gasket from the broken auto-siphon onto the SS cane and be done with it.

Plastic racking canes are FAR too fragile, but let's be glass they aren't glass, eh? ;)

Back