rookie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
just moved my first home brew to a secondary fermenter. sample tastes terrible. there was no foam in primary. hydrometer bottomed out. did i blow it? og was 1060. it is a german wheat beer kit.

First, what do you mean by "bottomed out". Secondly, how long did it sit in the primary and didn't foam? Third, why did you move it to a secondary?

What in assuming is, by bottomed out, you mean that the gravity hasn't started to drop. That means your yeast hasn't begun eating away the sugars in the wort. Either you a) didn't wait long enough for the yeast to go, b) had bad yeast, or c) you moved to the secondary early.

You should see krausen (the foam) within 72 hours. If not, re-pitch some more yeast.

Can you post the details of your procedure from the time you turned off your flame till the most recent gravity check? It might help.

just moved my first home brew to a secondary fermenter.

Why?

sample tastes terrible. there was no foam in primary.

How long was it in the primary? It's possible that you moved it before it finished fermenting. Please tell us what you mean by "terrible". What taste are you getting? What temperature did you ferment at and with what yeast?

hydrometer bottomed out. did i blow it? og was 1060. it is a german wheat beer kit.

Like everyone else, I'm trying to guess at what you mean by "bottomed out".

Or maybe you fermented too high and it tastes like ass.

We need more information!!!

Give give give!

Your ingredients. Yeast. Ferm temp. All that hullaballoo.

So is anyone else waiting in a response from CJB999? This is killing me. I need answers!!!

Back