Rookie mistake - slow ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolsharkin

Reaction score
Hi all - I made my first batch and used BB witbier kit. Everything almost went to plan - almost.

1. I topped off my wort with bottled spring water - I hope this was not a mistake. Yeast was pitched at 66. My OG was 1.038 which is little low to the 1.045 the instructions thought it should be. This due to not mixing well enough I presume.

2. My temp went down I little low - it went down to 61 for a couple of days. I've been able to maintain at 70 after a day or two.

3. I'm still getting airlock activity and it's been 11 days now. Should I be concerned about this or ride it out till activity stops.

Thanks for any feedback - thanks for taking the time to help out all us new homebrewers - it very much appreciated.

1. You'll probably be fine. Straight from the tap water to top up before and had no I'll effecs (but boiling and cooling is highly recommend!).

2. Don't worry. Once you have a batch or two under your belt you can think more on temp control.

3. I think you're OK. I'm a little surprised at 70 with your OG that it would still be eating but it may be. Any really bad smells from the fermentator? Again,you're probably OK.

Mmmm wit.

I bet your beer turns out fine. My last wit got a bit lower temp than I hoped. It seemed a bit sluggish, but it turned out great.

Things might be slowly chugging away since you got below 65. The CO2 will also start to off gas as things warm up which would cause the airlock to bubble. Keep in mind that bubbling does not necessarily mean fermentation is taking place.

I'd let it do its thing. Gravity readings are the best way to determine when fermentation is complete. If you dont don't have a hydrometer, time is your best friend.

Don't worry. In most situations, a slow, steady ferment at a cooler temp is preferable to a fast, eruptive process. The goal isn't to see it get done fast, but to have something tasty and enjoyable in the end.

BTW- There's nothing at all wrong with topping off with bottled spring water and 66*F is a pretty darn good pitch temp.

Thanks for checking in thebrewingbear - bottled it last night and the sample had great taste. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398056870.763613.jpg
Eagerly waiting for it to carb up.

i like a low and slow fermentation. Normally keep the chamber around 62-64. Now ya gotta wait for the bottle to do its thing. I try one a week after the second week to see how its coming along.

Back