Rookie mistake. please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBSCZONER

Reaction score
Hey guys, This has happend to me before, but not since I first started brewing. I tried to use a bung too small for my carboy and it fell in my wort, everything was sanitized and everything but I cannot siphon it out until tomorrow. Will my beer be alright? I have not pitched my yeast yet. Should I hold off until I siphon the wort off of the Bung? Rookie mistake but I really hope it doesnt ruin the batch. Honey Lager

Thanks in advance for the time and information. I appreciate it

If the bung was sanitized all will most likely be fine. Just slap a chunk of tin foil over the carboy mouth 'til you can rack the beer out.

To retrieve the bung you can stick most of a thin cloth (eg: tee shirt tail) in the carboy mouth, lay the carboy on its side, maneuver the carboy to get the bung laying on the shirt, then slowly draw the shirt out...

Cheers!

Awesome. thanks for the information. I already got a proper airlock on there and everything, was just worried about pitching yeast or not.

ive pushed a sanitized polyurethane stopper all the way through into my wort in my carboy once

after pitching a 5 minute tantrum, i said "eff it" and just put another bung and airlock on, figured it would be fine and i would rack off the beer when i transferred to a secondary or kegged it.

the beer was fine, all was saved...and i retrieved the bung with an old party trick (except on a larger scale) and got that sucker out on the first try!

If it was sanitized properly, I'd see no problem just leaving the thing in there until you're ready to package it/transfer it. Just pitch and throw on the right size bung, and let her go on her way. If you absolutely need the bung, I'd just buy another one. Not like they're expensive, and I'd rather fork out a few bucks for a bung than rack it off.

I agree with just letting the bung snooze 'til the brew is ready for packaging.
I also recommend chucking that bung and buying one of these "drilled universal carboy bung" - properly sized for your carboy. They won't push through...

e5ba737a39605178c2527e5a65030953.image.350x350.jpg

Cheers!

Back