Rooibos or Honeybush mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rothschild

Reaction score
Going away for two months but planning on making a big batch of mead when I get back. Recently ordered some loose leaf rooibos. Love the stuff. Planning on getting some honeybush as well. I'm thinking of using the steeped tea as the water before fermentation but wondering if that might create undesired flavors. My issue with steeping in secondary is that, in my experience from cold brewing and hot brewing rooibos for iced tea, in the former case a lot of the lingering floral notes were lost. I'd rather brew a very strong hot batch and dilute it. And maybe I'd find the flavors that came from using the brewed tea in primary desirable.

Anyone tried using either? Thoughts on what would compliment well? I'm thinking a metheglin maybe, but I want to be careful not to mask the rooibos.

Hmm, I have used loose lead jasmin in a mead before. One of them was fantastic but it was very sweet, the other was not quite so sweet and tasted more like cough medicin. Perhaps make a good cup of rooibos, sweeten as desired with honey and add some vodka. Might give a slight idea if it would be any good or just taste like medicin.

Latest posts

Back