Rogue pacman yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
What can I expect from it?

The name is very familiar as I have come across it a lot here. I've always dismissed it because i felt the name was silly.

My LHBS had some so i decided to purchase it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have used it for blonde ales, APA, IPA, and porters. It likes agency pitch and relatively cool temps- like low 60s. Decent attenuation and flocs out better that the other American ale yeasts that I have used. It is clean but I find that it seems to mute out hop flavors and smooth / dull flavors.

It's the house yeast used in all of Rogue's beers. It works well with a wide variety of styles. I found it to be similar to US-05 but without the potential for peach esters, it attenuates a little bit more, and has a slightly mineral quality. I use Pacman a lot and have been very happy with it.

It's the house yeast used in all of Rogue's beers. It works well with a wide variety of styles. I found it to be similar to US-05 but without the potential for peach esters, it attenuates a little bit more, and has a slightly mineral quality. I use Pacman a lot and have been very happy with it.

Do you think that it mutes hops compared to other American ale yeasts?

I am going to plan an IPA with this yeast. Problem is i can't control ferment temperatures. Anyone ferment at 70-73 F with this yeast? I'm either lager temp or ale temp.

Is this yeast super active? Big krausen and ferments out fast?

I'm either lager temp or ale temp.
70-73 is a bit high for most ale yeast if you looking for a clean IPA profile. If you're saying you can do lager temperatures, I'd start it in the mid 50's and let raise to your ale temperature.

Where do you live that your LHBS has Pacman?

Thats what i do with kolsch. First two days in the fridge then i take it out.

Toronto.

Production date on yeast is in January.

Always. Except for my last brew which was my first Irish red. Just pitched it right from the pack. I was underwhelmed with the performance.

I am a big fan of over pitching.

Back