Rogue kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started a Rogue brutal IPA kit and I'm steeping the grain right now. The next step is to put the largest package of DME in, but there are 3 bags - a 3 lb bag of sparkling amber, a 3 lb bag of golden light, and a 1 lb bag of golden light. Does the two bags of golden light count as the largest bag?
The instructions say if there are additional bags, save them for later in the process. Improbably doesn't matter all that much, but the instructions are kind of ambiguous. They use the same instructions for all kits apparently.

Thanks, hopefully someone sees this soon :)

I say the two bags count as one. In the end, it won't matter.

Man, these instructions are terrible -
Step 7: if your kit came with flavor hops, add now, etc..
Step 8: if your kit came with flavor hops, add now
Again, not a huge deal, but ugh. I know the beer will be fine either way, but if it's a clone kit it should be more accurate. They only have 5 kits, it wouldn't be that hard to write specific instructions for each one

The hop schedule is more important than when you put the extract in. Either way, sounds frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Again, not a huge deal, but ugh. I know the beer will be fine either way, but if it's a clone kit it should be more accurate. They only have 5 kits, it wouldn't be that hard to write specific instructions for each one

lol honestly i feel the same way with the brewers best kits i get from my local shop, totally generic with non-descriptive instructions. drove me crazy for my first few brews until i just kinda said **** it and went with what felt right.

Kit instructions suck. That's all there is to it. However, the brewing ingredient list probably tells you how long to boil each hops for.

As a general rule, (and this is VERY GENERAL), Bittering hops are boiled for 60 minutes. Flavor hops are boiled for 15-30 minutes. Aroma hops are boiled for 5 minutes or LESS (some recipes call for adding them at "flame out" - just as you stop the boil).

As for the DME, any of the 3 lb bags would have been sufficient. Amber probably would have been better. Golden Light should be as light as possible, so a late addition is more appropriate for this style.

The reason they do late addition is really you only need about half of your extract during the boil to get the hop flavor into the beer. The rest you should only add for about the last 10-15 minutes - enough to pasteurize an LME or fully integrate the DME.

If you haven't already, I would pick yourself up a copy of a good brewing book. I usually recommend Palmer's "How to Brew." And read this forum.

Back