Rogue Captain Sig's Northwestern Ale attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
Hello all - I've been looking for a good clone of Rogue Cap'n Sigs ale. I've found a few on hopville and northern brewer (website down today?) but they leave out key malts and\or hops. So since rogue lists Lovibonds (20) and IBUS (80) and plato (14.5) I thought I'd try for myself. Please critique :)

5.5 gal recipe, 70% efficiency

12lb 2-row
1lb Carastan
9oz Chocolate

60 min - 2oz Perle
30 min - 1oz Amarillo
30 min - 1oz Cascade
5 min - .5oz Amarillo
5 min - .5oz Cascade
Dry hop - 1.5oz Amarillo
Dry hop - 1.5oz Cascade

Beersmith says this is around 86 IBUs. This is calculated IBUS...so I wonder if Rogues 80 is actual lab tested? So I would need to add in some. It also says I'm at 20.8 SRM. I'm assuming this is the same as Rogue's 'lovibond' number. Predicted OG is 1.062 so a bit above Rogue's predicted plato of 14.5. Back off on 2-row?

Anyway - that's my best attempt :-D Gonna brew in a week or so when one of my carboys is finally free.

Dan

Dan.. I just put the hurts to pitcher of this great brew at The Milton tavern. What a great Northwest style ale. A quick search found your post. I'll be trying out your recipe soon. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Awesome! It was just my best attempt at the recipe. I'll be very curious how it turns out. I'll be brewing it soon too. I just did Yooper's 'Evil Twin' take off due to ingredient availability but will be doing this one in a week or so. Probably with US-05 I suppose.

Awesome! It was just my best attempt at the recipe. I'll be very curious how it turns out. I'll be brewing it soon too. I just did Yooper's 'Evil Twin' take off due to ingredient availability but will be doing this one in a week or so. Probably with US-05 I suppose.

How'd this turn out?!! :cross:

Going to try this recipe tonight finally. Anyone else had the chance to use\think about this one?

Well just for public record here's what I did. LHBS had pacman (yay!) but not Carastan:

Efficiency around 70% and mashed at 152....5.3-5.5gal batch
12.5lb 2-row
11oz chocolate
.5lb Crystal 15
.5lb Crystal 30
60min 2oz perle
20min 1.5oz Cascade
15min 1oz Amarillo
5min 1oz Amarillo
5min .5oz Cascade

Did a starter with Pacman this afternoon, waiting till last minute to pitch. Will dryhop with some Amarillo and Cascade. I'll update later when I get results. Only anomaly with this brew is every RO machine in town was busted so I went with tap water, used campden tablets and then adjusted pH down with Phosphoric acid. Should be fine but less predictable as I'm uncertain as to whats in my local water lately.

Cheers!

I brewed an attempt at Sig's a couple of weeks ago. Not having seen your recipe until now, here is what I did for a 5.5 gal batch.

11 lb 2-row
1.2 lb Carastan
.5 lb Chocolate Malt

I did not have Perle so I subbed in Northern Brewer.

60min .9oz NB
20min 1.6oz Amarillo
20min 2.0oz Cascade

OG was 1.059, calculated IBU 79.8, SRM 20

I also did not have Pacman, used SO4 dry.

Took a gravity reading tonight, it was at 1.011. Tasted the sample and it has nice hop flavor and mild bitterness. I would probably next time bump up the 60 min addition to get a bit more bitterness. Otherwise, it should be a good beer. I'm going to pick up a bottle of Sig's and compare.

Cheers,
Tom

Nice! How do you feel about your chocolate quantity after tasting? Mine might be a little high, we'll see. I'll post again when I take a sample in the next week or so.

I kegged mine up over the weekend and pulled out some in a soda bottle to carb and try. I would not want any more Chocolate malt than what I have. Carbonation has helped with the bitterness. Taste wise, it is close to what I remember last time I had some at the pub in Eugene. I still need to swing by the pub to get some to compare.

Cheers,
Tom

Tasted a hydrometer sample of mine tonight. I think I probably did overshoot chocolate. Otherwise tastes fairly similar. Will have to wait for it to age and then carbonate to really say. Really pleased with it for an early sample though!!

Tonight I compared my homebrewed version with a bottle from Safeway. Mine was a bit darker, but not much. I notice on the bottle that they list the color as 36L. I am sure that they mean EBC. If so, that would put the beer around 18L, which would seem right as I had used 20 in my recipe. I also noticed that mine has more of a caramel note. I would reduce the Carastan and bump up the pale and adjust the Chocolate to hit 18L.

Now for the hopping, I don't think the Northern Brewer I used was a good sub for the Perle. The bitterness was a bit earthy. Also, the bottled version had a lot more hop flavor. I am thinking that your hop schedule would be much closer. I would not dry hop though. Maybe a big whirlpool addition instead.

Anyway, this was fun and I will enjoy my keg. It will be awhile before I get around to trying this again. I hope you are pleased with your version.

Cheers,
Tom

don't even know what a north western ale is to be honest. looks like the WCIPA version of an amber ale.

Back