Rogue Ale @ Ruby Tuesdays...Which One?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't normally eat at chains, but I ended up meeting "pseudoswambo" at a Ruby Tuesdays after work lastnight. When I asked what they had on tap, the only one beyond the usual bmc and bluemoon was Rogue Ale.

It was fantastic on draft...Even ms, "I was born in Ireland and weaned on guiness in the baby bottle liked it."

I've had a few Rogues before in bottles...I liked 'em, but there was something about it being on tap that made it a treat...

I asked the bartender which Rogue Ale it was...his answer of course was "Rogue Ale." There was no label on the taphead...

Trouble is, if you go to Rogue's website it's clear that they have quite a few different ales...(Considering the company is called Rogue Ales you can see why;) )
I went to Ruby Tuesday's site and it's only listed as "Rogue Ale" as well..

Anyone more familiar with Rogue's products been to an R.T. recently and recognized which of ROgue's fine beers it was?

I'd say it was in the red ale family in terms of color (But the light was kinda dim in the bar so I couldn't really tell... It was nicely balanced and crisp, but with a tasty hop bite in the finish... Not uber-IPA hoppiness...just a crispness at the end. It was full bodied and left nice "legs" on the glass.

If I could figure it out I'd definitly make this my "I'm out of homebrew" goto ale.

I think I'd even try to whip up a batch...

Anyone know which Rogue it could have been?

I'd be willing to bet its the Dead Guy Ale. They probably took out "Dead Guy" to make it more user-friendly...

I thought it might be dead guy....I haven't had that in bottles in a couple years..so I can't recall...but I know it's their most popular one...so yeah It could be in a chain like that...

I'll have to read their pdf...

Thanks!

nice, I've never been to a Ruby Tuesdays. Now I might have to. It's been a while since I had a dead guy and I've never had one on tap. Thanks for the info.

:mug:

bigjohnmilford said:
nice, I've never been to a Ruby Tuesdays. Now I might have to. It's been a while since I had a dead guy and I've never had one on tap. Thanks for the info.

:mug:

It was a pleasant surprise....he red through the list and there was nothing on tap I would drink...didn't even have guiness...Then I heard the magic word "Rogue" and I knew the night was saved. LOL

ANd the food wasn't bad either.

I'm sorry ... I hate to dig up an old thread but the same thing happened to me. I asked our nice waitress what the Rogue was that they had on tap. She went and asked, came back and said it was the Rogue Ale, I said "OK ... which one?" She went back to the bar and returned with "It's a darker one". I didn't want to trouble her anymore so I ordered another beer. Later I went up to the bartender and asked what Rogue that was, he must have known I was the guy who sent the waitress there twice and smarted off and said "IT'S THE ROGUE ALE". I said, "You do realize that all Rogue makes is Ales and you're narrowing it down to about 20 different possibilities". He then yelled, "IT'S JUST YOUR STANDARD ALE".

I was amazed. I just walked away laughing.

Again, sorry to be a grave robber.

I would be willing to bet is was their Dead Guy. I believe it is their most widespread beer. Never had it on tap and haven't been to a Rudy Tuesday's in years... maybe time for a trip.

He then yelled, "IT'S JUST YOUR STANDARD ALE".

Oh snap, what's up Mr. ******-Baggington the Third?

I'd ask for the manager after that.... but that's just me. Or maybe just climb over the bar and examine the keg myself ^_^

I think Ruby Tuesday makes some dang tasty food but if that happened to me I don't know I would go back.

My local Ruby T's servers Dead Guy Ale. DIdn't care for it in the bottle, but liked it from the tap. Not sure how a beer can be different on tap, but this beer is far better on tap.

I support the theory that it's Dead Guy because of its popularity and they drop the Dead Guy from the title to serve to most of the nose-miners who frequent the chains.

The Rogue Ale is my favorite. :p

It's a wonderful thing when a bartender thinks he's cool because he can make all kind of fruity drinks, but then is not even knowledgeable to what beers he is serving.

It's a wonderful thing when a bartender thinks he's cool because he can make all kind of fruity drinks, but then is not even knowledgeable to what beers he is serving.

I'd be willing to bet he could probably talk at length about how Miller Lite is triple hops brewed and that makes it superior.

Too bad my local Ruby Tuesdays doesn't have Rogue....I sometimes go there if I want a burger. Most of the time, their draught selection is pretty small: so my choices are Sam Adams or Sierra Navada. Their most recent non BMC that I tried was a Red Hat...god, it was such a girly beer (fruity as anything). If I want real beer selection, I go to the Taco Mac across the street though....which has 100 different beers on tap. I say be thankful enough if your Ruby Tuesday has a Rogue *ale*....why would it surprise you that the staff wouldn't be that knowledgable about beer? Even the bartender, who's making close to minimum wage, is not going to know much about craft beers....or what makes a particular Rogue ale better then the BMC lagers.

I'm sorry ... I hate to dig up an old thread but the same thing happened to me. I asked our nice waitress what the Rogue was that they had on tap. She went and asked, came back and said it was the Rogue Ale, I said "OK ... which one?" She went back to the bar and returned with "It's a darker one". I didn't want to trouble her anymore so I ordered another beer. Later I went up to the bartender and asked what Rogue that was, he must have known I was the guy who sent the waitress there twice and smarted off and said "IT'S THE ROGUE ALE". I said, "You do realize that all Rogue makes is Ales and you're narrowing it down to about 20 different possibilities". He then yelled, "IT'S JUST YOUR STANDARD ALE".

I was amazed. I just walked away laughing.

Again, sorry to be a grave robber.

That is funny stuff.

Too bad my local Ruby Tuesdays doesn't have Rogue....I sometimes go there if I want a burger. Most of the time, their draught selection is pretty small: so my choices are Sam Adams or Sierra Navada. Their most recent non BMC that I tried was a Red Hat...god, it was such a girly beer (fruity as anything). If I want real beer selection, I go to the Taco Mac across the street though....which has 100 different beers on tap. I say be thankful enough if your Ruby Tuesday has a Rogue *ale*....why would it surprise you that the staff wouldn't be that knowledgable about beer? Even the bartender, who's making close to minimum wage, is not going to know much about craft beers....or what makes a particular Rogue ale better then the BMC lagers.

This is back when I lived in Mississippi, the land of no beer, and I was in Atlanta so I was looking to drink some good beer. I also went to Taco Mac.

This is back when I lived in Mississippi, the land of no beer, and I was in Atlanta so I was looking to drink some good beer. I also went to Taco Mac.

Taco Mac is deffinitely a good chain round here for beer snobs. Though their quality of selection also differs from location to location. One thing I'm surprised though....there's TM and some other sole pubs that stock so many different beers....but why so few microbreweries here in ATL? If I'm looking for good beer and food, only one place delivers the goods: 5 Seasons brewery (they have gourmet food as well as always changing out taps with their own brews). Well maybe I'm just comparing ATL to my hometown of Asheville...which while much smaller, has 8 breweries and 2 more on the way :ban:

I've had a few Rogues before in bottles...I liked 'em, but there was something about it being on tap that made it a treat...

I went to my local Ruby Tuesdays last week and encountered a similar mix-up. On the beer list it listed Magic Hat's #9 as "Circus Boy #9" I told the waitress that it was a typo and that Circus Boy and #9 were both Magic Hat beers. She looked at me like I was messing with her and walked away. The main reason for going to begin with was to see if they had Rogue, which they did not, but I had a Widmer Hefeweizen which was very tasty.

Back