Roggenbier decoction mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

Bridge four
Reaction score
I'm planning a roggenbier (german rye beer) and have read horror stories of working with rye in regards to stuck mashes and sparges. I plan on using rice hulls to help alleviate these issues but...

I plan on decoction mashing. This results in the grains being punished greatly and breaking down further than the crush I get from the LHBS. Should I add the rice hulls in after the last decoction, pre soaked and warmed to mash out temp or throw em in at the beginning with the rest of the grain?

My instincts say to do it when I add the final decoction back to reach mash out, I was curious as to the thoughts of others before I make the final decision tho.

I would employ the (pre-soaked and then drained) hulls prior to strike and build the bed atop. I've never brewed with rye but that's never failed me with 50% wheat recipes...

Cheers!

I would employ the (pre-soaked and then drained) hulls prior to strike and build the bed atop. I've never brewed with rye but that's never failed me with 50% wheat recipes...

Cheers!

Will this work for a decoction mash, disturbing the grain bed and whatnot? I can see for single infusion or even step mash, but for a decoction?

Thanks for the reply, not trying to be super critical, just trying to understand

Fair question. What I can offer is this: I do 10 gallon batches, underlet the strike volume, let the mash sit a few minutes, then give it one thorough stirring before lidding it tight and in a few minutes starting the recirculation (HERMs rig). I'm sure the hulls get dispersed to some degree (how much who knows) but somehow a viable matrix still forms to keep the mash from locking up.

I don't think starting with the hulls near the bottom would affect pulling "the thickest part" of the mash for your decoction steps as time progresses. My concern with waiting until after the last decoction to add the hulls is how they would actually get anywhere near the FB (or whatever lautering device) to do something useful...

Cheers!

Ok, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll try that. What's the worst that could happen?

Latest posts

Back