Belgian Dark Strong Ale Rochefort 10 clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP575
Yeast Starter
2L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21@65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
PLums and raisins come though in the front finishing with slight peppery spiciness.
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Rochefort 10 Clone
Brewer: Eddie Spencer
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.104 SG
Estimated Color: 19.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs 4.0 oz Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM) Grain 66.41 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.90 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.90 %
8.0 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM) Grain 2.95 %
3.0 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 1.12 %
2.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (10 min)Hops -
1.00 oz Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
3 lbs Invert Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 17.71 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.94 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 17.43 qt of water at 167.0 F 154.0 F

I probably should have called it Roche9 to be more accurate since it's between the eight and ten in ABV. I actually prefer this one over the other recipe I posted.

Tell me more about how you came across this. Is this your clone or did you find it somewhere? How does it stack up to the real 10?! I'd love to do this beer. :D

I started off following the basic guidelines in BLAM and modified it from there. The flavor is quite close to Roche 10 but the ABV is a little bit low at a mere 10.78%. It's not a true clone since I didn't use Roche yeast but I love it the way it turned out. With the temp creeping down, I'll be making this again soon.

Great, I've got BLAM and I've done some things with ispiration from there but never an actual clone. I think I'll do this as a great winter beer. Thanks for the info. :mug:

I use homemade invert sugar that I cooked to a deep red and crystallized and stored in the freezer. Candi sugar would work just fine as well, though, but it'll cost a buttload more.

Yep, it's pretty simple. Just make sure you use something heat tolerant to stir it with. The temp in the sugar gets pretty high and you have to stir it constantly while it's on the heat so it doesn't burn. I use a silicone spatula.

I did a Rochefort 8 clone that is in my secondary right now. I think the next time I do it I might culture some yeast from a bottle of Rochefort. I just drank a bottle of Rochefort 8 on Friday. One thing I noticed is that the flavor is extremely simple. I doubt there is very much in the way of specialty grains in there. I tasted my clone and it has about the same mouthfeel but the chocolate malt in mine was out of place. Next time I brew it I will try it whole grain and leave out the chocolate malt. The other thing about the real Rochefort 8 is there is very very very little bitterness. I was careful not to overhop and I think I hit the IBU's right on the head.

I'm very new to this... when do you use the invert sugar? Is it during the boiling or in the mash process?

I haven't brewed this one in a while but I might get on it again soon. Anybody else try it and have something they'd like to add or comment on?

I am going to be brewing this up on Sunday, using clear Belgian candi syrup as I do not want to worry about making my own (just enough time to make the beer itself, too). Am I too assume you used 2 vials of the yeast and a starter to make this batch? I see your ingredients list says 1, but that seems awfully small.

How did your brewing go Yotie? Anything to add or any suggestions? I think I might brew this recipe Saturday.

Well, this recipe seemed to have morphed away from the original recipe. The LHBS had no WLP575, so I went with 500 (Chimay strain). In addition, I forgot to gran the candi syrup, so I instead used honey that was meant for my mead. With all that considered, it turned out pretty damned good. Though, it has that Chimay aroma and sharpness, and a hint of sage honey (flavor, not sweetness), so it turned out very drinkable.

I plan to remake this one next with the correct ingredients. it was an interesting brew day I must say!

I'm a noobie to homebrewing. This will be only my 3rd batch and I'm starting by doing just 1 gallon batches. I was wondering how long you bottle conditioned and at what temp? Also, has anybody bulk stored this recipe at cold temps for a while? Like a lagering. I've read on other Rochefort 10 clone threads about doing this. Thanks.

I conditioned this for a while, after 3 months it was getting really nice, 6 months amazing. this was room temp though, as I don't have a "cellar" set-up.

I'm very new to this... when do you use the invert sugar? Is it during the boiling or in the mash process?
I would honestly recommend adding the sugar later. It just needs to dissolve but can get burnt to the bottom of your kettle. 5-10 min before flame out works better for me on adding sugar.

Back