Robust porter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amd133mhz

Reaction score
I have a brewers best robust porter in fermenter.

I dry pitched at about 70f and stirred in for a few minutes.og was 1.050 (kit called for 1.051-1.055) I put the fermenter in a Large robe tub addded water that covered to the neck of the pail. stick on thermometer at base of pail in water says 68F my digital thermometer sitting atop say 70-71 and my lab therm. sitting alongside of bucket in water says 66-68 as well.

It started fermentation like 6 hours after pitching. I just use a blow off in a bottle of sanitized water and it started out pretty rapid and incresed now on day two to bubble literally every second on the dot ie 1,1,000(blurp)2,1,000(blurp) ect. It seems very agressive. no blow off throw my hose. I rigged up the hose useing a 3 piece airlock,so i just removed the cap and the float and attached the air hose directly to the stem inside and ran it down to a old 750ml bottle filled past a 1/4 way with sanitizer. Not really concerned but was looking to see if such active fermentation at those temps is Ok. i am not worried an im about to just go enjoy my Irish Stout from my first time,this being my second. just that my irish stout was never this active,which may or may not mean anything they just both used the same ale yeast (nottingham)

any advice would be great! Thanks!

Just a guess but your robust porter is probably higher alcohol content than the stout. This is normal the higher the OG, the more ferment able sugars in solution, the more vigorously it will ferment.

FWIW I just brewed 10G of a robust porter yesterday. It will be around 7% and I expect it to ferment like that. I actually had a dopplebock that would pop the lid of the bucket every few days, and fermented like that for over a week, before it was ready to secondary.

The robust porter has been in secondary now for about 1 week solid and I noticed the little "clouds" of foam floating atop have completely disappeared. Just poof one day there,next day not there. airlock still indicates co2 being released (pressure is on the water constantly and bubbles very periodically) I was just concerned that something may have changed. Any ideas if this is normal good bad or indifferent? Thanks!

Mine did that too, and its a great tasting beer! Just bottled Saturday. The foam in secondary fell almost a week ago.

Back