Robust Porter Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
Any suggestions before I make this tomorrow would be much appreciated.

Robust Porter
Brew Type: All Grain
Style: Robust Porter
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Volume: 7.50 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 71.0 %

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.059 SG (1.048-1.065 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017 SG (1.012-1.016 SG)
Estimated Color: 30.3 SRM (22.0-40.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 43.4 IBU (25.0-55.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.5 % (4.8-6.0 %)

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 80.8 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.7 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (20 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale (Starter)

That sounds pretty good. I like the 120L crystal in there. I don't know that it's all that traditional, but it should be interesting and tasty.

TL

Porter being the beer of industrial and odd ingredients and mixed-beer origin that it is, you could probably put all manner of stuff in it and it would still be traditional.

Depending on OG, though, I would almost call that a brown porter due to the English hops and no black malt. Robust porter tends to have more of a roasted or burnt character to it, which you can get from black patent malt.

Buford said:
Porter being the beer of industrial and odd ingredients and mixed-beer origin that it is, you could probably put all manner of stuff in it and it would still be traditional.

Depending on OG, though, I would almost call that a brown porter due to the English hops and no black malt. Robust porter tends to have more of a roasted or burnt character to it, which you can get from black patent malt.

Looking more closely at Beersmith it seems that this brew (should it turn out) will sit on the fence between a Brown and Robust Porter. English hops, Chocolate, Dark Crystal and Black malts seem to be common to both styles.

Brown: OG 1.040 - 1.052; Color 20 - 30 SRM
Ingredients: English malt. Dark Crystal, chocolate and black or roast malt. Traditional english ale hops and yeast. Moderate carbonate water.

Robust: OG 1.048 - 1.065; Color 22 - 40 SRM
Ingredients: English malt. Dark Crystal, chocolate and black or roast malt. Often black patent, chocolate and roasted malts. Traditional english ale hops and yeast.

Looks like it'll be a pretty tasty beer. I might add up to about 1/4 lb of black patent if it were my recipe, but it's not entirely necessary. I would definitely call it a robust porter with the deep color and relatively high gravity.

Latest posts

Back