Robobrew silicon gasket missing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKnob

Reaction score
Do i need it?

Just got my gen 3 Robobrew...its missing the silicon gasket that goes on the malt screen on top...I'm told many don't even use the top screen.

My Robobrew v3 also didn't come with the silicon gasket for the top screen. I've only brewed with the Robobrew once. I used the top screen without the silicon gasket because in the YouTube videos that I saw people said it is really tight with the gasket and some chose not to use it. I didn't have any problems without it and I probably wouldn't use it if they had included it.

If you really want you can buy one for $2 from MoreBeer : https://www.morebeer.com/products/replacement-silicone-seal-35-robobrew-malt-pipe.html

Just got my Robobrew v3, sitting right at my feet here at my workplace lol. I've been wondering all this time, what is the point of the top screen anyway? The grain bed is a filter itself so really what is the need of the top screen? Second, wouldn't the silicone gasket be better on the bottom screen (if it fits of course) to even better ensure grains don't get underneath? Can't wait to use mine within the next couple of weekends.

Rev.

The top screen can be used while recirculating the mash to prevent the water that is pumped on top of the grain bed from channeling. It helps make sure the water flows through the grain bed evenly and could help improve extraction efficiency.

The top screen can be used while recirculating the mash to prevent the water that is pumped on top of the grain bed from channeling. It helps make sure the water flows through the grain bed evenly and could help improve extraction efficiency.

I would think it shouldn't matter much so long as you keep a little water level over the top of the grain bed. If there's channeling it will happen regardless of whether or not there's a screen on top - where there's a clearer flow more of the wort will pass through that channel and the rest of the grain bed will still pass wort but at a slower pace. What difference does having a screen on top make if you're keeping the flow at a rate where there's a half inch or so of top layer wort?

Rev.

I have a grainfather with top screen but it sounds similar. I thought the purpose was to stop bits of grain going through the overflow pipe. Could be wrong of course.

I would think it shouldn't matter much so long as you keep a little water level over the top of the grain bed. If there's channeling it will happen regardless of whether or not there's a screen on top - where there's a clearer flow more of the wort will pass through that channel and the rest of the grain bed will still pass wort but at a slower pace. What difference does having a screen on top make if you're keeping the flow at a rate where there's a half inch or so of top layer wort?

Rev.

Because you don’t have anything to diffuse the flow so it’ll just eventually bore a hole through your grain bed. The top screen is definitely worth it. The silicon gasket? Meh.

Because you don’t have anything to diffuse the flow so it’ll just eventually bore a hole through your grain bed. The top screen is definitely worth it. The silicon gasket? Meh.
I'm not familiar with the sparging method on the robobrew but the screen is not needed if the liquid level is above the top of the grain bed (in fact many brewers will tell you the exit at the top of the pipe should be under the wort level in an ideal situation)..

Many including myself have discovered the same is true with using fancy sparge arms vs a silicone hose.. They serve no real purpose when the flow rate is in the correct range unless someone is sparging onto a dry grainbed. I am getting 91% average efficiency on my system and have tried reciculating and sparging with the ss brewing sparge adaper, locline and a piece of silicone hose. they resulted in zero change in efficiency. the key IMHO is low recirculation flow (1.5-2gpm) not rice hulls needed either at this slow rate which is plenty fast enough to keep even temps.

Last edited:
I guess this is a common QC issue with Robobrews. Received my V3 a couple weeks ago and also noticed the gasket missing. I sent an email to Austin Homebrew and they said they'd contact KegLand. Since I didn't want to wait weeks, I purchased one from MoreBeer ($2). What ended up happening was the gasket from KegLand arrived in 3 days from the distributor, not manufacturer or retailer. The MoreBeer one arrived a day after that. I'm planning my first brew this Monday and as mentioned above, the top screen is to prevent channeling sort of like how I use to batch sparge when I first started brewing, onto a piece of foil with holes in it, laid above the grainbed. Just curious, does anyone have an equipment profile for the V3?

sort of like how I use to batch sparge when I first started brewing, onto a piece of foil with holes in it, laid above the grainbed

That is effectively fly sparging. Batch sparging is when you dump the water in, stir, let sit (optional), then vorlauf and runoff.

Anyhoo, my Robobrew came with two gaskets but I'm not going to use them. Everyone seems to agree, even the company that there's no need. The company states they're not including them anymore as they're not needed.

Rev.

I guess this is a common QC issue with Robobrews. Received my V3 a couple weeks ago and also noticed the gasket missing. I sent an email to Austin Homebrew and they said they'd contact KegLand. Since I didn't want to wait weeks, I purchased one from MoreBeer ($2). What ended up happening was the gasket from KegLand arrived in 3 days from the distributor, not manufacturer or retailer. The MoreBeer one arrived a day after that. I'm planning my first brew this Monday and as mentioned above, the top screen is to prevent channeling sort of like how I use to batch sparge when I first started brewing, onto a piece of foil with holes in it, laid above the grainbed. Just curious, does anyone have an equipment profile for the V3?

There is one on one of the YouTube videos about it by some electric brewing group. I can’t remember exactly how I found it; but, I think it was mentioned on here.

There is one, however, and if no one provides a link before I get to the office tomorrow morning, I’ll dig it up for you.

That is effectively fly sparging. Batch sparging is when you dump the water in, stir, let sit (optional), then vorlauf and runoff.

Anyhoo, my Robobrew came with two gaskets but I'm not going to use them. Everyone seems to agree, even the company that there's no need. The company states they're not including them anymore as they're not needed.

Rev.

Not only is it not necessary, it’s a PITA to get that screen in with it on and always seems to get grain stuck in it.

Back