RoboBrew or 22 gal Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relative to a 10 gal kettle BIAB, what would increase volume more, a RoboBrew or 20 gal kettle?

• RoboBrew

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 gal kettle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Positronic_Matrix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been saving for a 22 gal (83 L) kettle for quite some time. Recently, I have been given an opportunity to buy a RoboBrew v3.1 for a similar price. Which one should I get?

The reason I originally wanted a 22 gal kettle is that I am time constrained due to work travel and family. I find time to brew once every 3-6 months at best and have been looking for a way to increase my brew volume.

My thought is that going from a 10 gal (34 L) kettle to a 22 gal (83 L) kettle would allow me to brew twice as much in half the time. (I do BIAB.) However, I recently read a testimonial that claimed the RoboBrew reduced the overhead of kettle BIAB brewing (e.g., no propane, ladder, pulley), that made me wonder if the RoboBrew might also increase my brewing volume.

Given that I am time constrained, which option would likely increase the volume of brewing more, the large kettle or the RoboBrew?

Both setups would allow you to brew 10 gallon batches, assuming you are talking about the 17 gallon 220v RoboBrew. You could brew larger batches than 10 gallons with a 22 gallon kettle if desired. The 3500 watts of the 220v robobrew may be slower to heat these volumes than propane, so you may want to find some information on heating times for the Robobrew. It will definitely be faster than the 120v all-in-one systems. Most people who use electric heat for these volumes will use a 5000 or 5500 watt heating element. The all-in-one systems are very nice for the advantages you mentioned, but the (slight) disadvantage I see for them has always been long heating times.

If time is the most critical part of your decision, look at the difference in time it takes to heat strike water and go from mash temperature to boiling on each system and see if there is a significant difference.

Another advantage of an electric system is the ability to brew indoors, so you're not at the mercy of the weather, but you will need to deal with the steam during the boil.

If you decide to go with the RoboBrew, you will need to have 220/240v power available which requires a GFCI protected circuit. I am in the process of setting up an electric BIAB system, and I use my 240v dryer outlet after installing a GFCI breaker in place of the existing breaker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back