Roasted Hatch Chile ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbosley2015

Reaction score
So one of my former professors that studied in New Mexico is interested in me creating a beer that uses hatch chiles...and I am not really at a loss as I have done some jalapeno beers in my time but want to try something different, and maybe very odd but I am out of ideas.

In my experience, peppers usually do quite well with fruited IPAs, and IPAs that have an actual fruit component. I can create the recipe, thats no problem. I just need some ideas!!!

My first thought was a Hatch Chile and Pear IPA but pear might not be able to handle the hoppiness of the bear and flavor of the chile...I am not set on an IPA, just looking for any ideas!

In NM, many breweries have done straight up Hatch pale ales and IPAs. The peppers themselves have a lot of character, in addition to spice. I'm not sure you need fruit to add complexity.

In NM, many breweries have done straight up Hatch pale ales and IPAs. The peppers themselves have a lot of character, in addition to spice. I'm not sure you need fruit to add complexity.

I have brewed a few chile beers now and have found that I appreciate something that counters the pepper taste. I have done a jalapeno imperial irish red that was only pepper, and while absolutely delicious, it seems that (for me) adding a fruit complexity and a citrus and floral hop bill cuts back on the vegetal flavor that builds with these pepper only beers.

Thoughts?

If you are going to add fruit maybe mango's would work.

I think mango would go well too, I just did a mango addition to a grapefruit sculpin clone and it turned out incredible (one of my favorites I have done) The only problem I worry about with mango other than mango and chile being "trendy" is that mango stands up to heat, but it seems that when added to a pepper that has a very strong flavor like the jalapeno or Hatch it can be overpowering. I recently tried a honeydew jalapeno that was outstanding but I wouldn't know the first thing about adding honeydew to the brew and getting a good depth of flavor because it is so subtle.

I have a couple of months until the season ends so I have all of this R&D time to start building the perfect setup and will likely have two or three different batches going at once. It'll be one hell of a brew day

Latest posts

Back