Roasted Barley - how much is too much in an Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevans

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. It will be my first. The only RIS I've had is Old Rasputin, which I like quite a bit. Rather than clone it I decided to try Jamil's RIS as a base line (see grain bill below). My question: it recommends 1.5 lbs of Roasted Barley. This seems like about twice as much as any other RIS recipe I can find and it uses 1 lb of Chocolate Malt too boot.

Has anyone tried this recipe? If so, did you like it and and how did it stack up to any other RIS you have tried, all of which pressumably use less Roasted Barley?

82.6 19.00 lbs. Pale Malt Halcyon Great Britain 1.038 3
2.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
4.3 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
6.5 1.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
2.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.034 200

I am planning to brew a Russian Imperial Stout this weekend. It will be my first. The only RIS I've had is Old Rasputin, which I like quite a bit. Rather than clone it I decided to try Jamil's RIS as a base line (see grain bill below). My question: it recommends 1.5 lbs of Roasted Barley. This seems like about twice as much as any other RIS recipe I can find and it uses 1 lb of Chocolate Malt too boot.

Has anyone tried this recipe? If so, did you like it and and how did it stack up to any other RIS you have tried, all of which pressumably use less Roasted Barley?

82.6 19.00 lbs. Pale Malt Halcyon Great Britain 1.038 3
2.2 0.50 lbs. CaraMunich Malt Belgium 1.033 75
4.3 1.00 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 120
6.5 1.50 lbs. Roasted Barley America 1.028 450
2.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350
2.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Light Great Britain 1.034 200

That seems like an awefull lot of dark roasted malts with not much crystal to provide a little balancing sweetness. I would add another .50 pound to the caramunich, knock .50 pound off of the roasted barley and hop the crap out of it!

I LOVE RIS! I've had a lot of them and the best one's have been super heavy on the specialty grains! Guys at my LHBS even had one that 50/50, base to specialty, and it was incredible! My recipe is one of the best RIS I've ever tasted and I went real heavy on those grains.

Mail Order Russian Bride - 5 gallons

58% 12 lbs 6 oz Marris Otter
12% 2.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
12% 2.5 lbs Germain Munich Malt 20L
7% 1.5 lbs Carmel 80L
7% 1.5 lbs Roasted Barley
2% 0.5 lbs Flaked Barley
2% 0.5 lbs Victory Malt
1% 2 oz Black Patent Malt

Total Grain Bill: 21.5 lbs

0.5 oz Simcoe (13%) FWH
0.5 oz Citra (11%) FWH
0.5 oz Chinook (13%) FWH
0.5 oz Warrior (15%) @ 60 min

Wyeast Thames Valley Ale (1275)

11% ABV
70 IBU

Oh, and this thing is delicious with a tsp of Cinnamon @ 10 min, and 4 oz Cocoa Nibs and 2 Vanilla Beans in the secondary for roughly 10 days... Mmmmm

You need to ask yourself what kinds of flavors you want to come through in the final product. Take Southern Tier's Mokah. That's an imperial stout that tastes like Tootsie Rolls. Because they are going for a stout that is sweeter and has prominent "auxiliary" flavors from the coffee and chocolate that are added to the beer, the beer has less hops and less perceivable roasted malts then, say, Yeti.

The point is, ask yourself how you want the final product to taste and make your decision from there. My last RIS used 2# of roasted barley and I plan on upping it a half pound the next time I brew it. I like roast in it, so I'm choosing more roast.

Wow.. that does seem like a crazy amount of roasted barley.

I've done a very roasty flavored stout and I think the most I used was 0.5lbs + some chocolate malt

It's a tried and true recipe so I would go with it without any tweaks. The Special B will provide a nice sweet dark-fruit flavor to balance the roast, and in my opinion Imperial Stouts should be MEAN. Roast Barley is a great way to achieve that...brew it up.

Made this and it has been aging about a month. Its quite good. Playing around with the carb level to accentuate the the bitterness and dryness. Thank you for the positive feedback on this recipe - I will be making this again.

I know Jevans has already brewed his RIS, but I wanted to run the premise that I work from on Stouts in general... and of course it's advice I received right here!

I was told a good guide is to have about 10-12% roasted malts in a RIS, and it applies to most stouts. This obviously is effected by which malts you're using the most and what one wants out of the bier. Obviously one can put much more American Chocolate in a bier than Black Patent because of the difference in impact. My brew used 11.5% roasted malts and was exactly what I was looking for. However I could see the above posters point... lots of roasted malts could be a good thing. I could absolutely see a RIS with 15 or 18% roasted malts turning out great.

Schlante,
Phillip

I've brewed a RIS with 1.5 lbs of roast and it is amazing. The beer started off as JZs recipe and then was tweaked to me tastes. Probably the best beer I've made in 30 or so batches.

Am putting together a RIS and googled 'percentage of roasted malt in stouts' and this thread pops up. What do ya know, I've already posted in it several years ago. Resurrection time! :fro:

I wanted to post an update on my thinking. Obviously beer styles are continually developing and changing with taste changes in the public, both perceived and real. The more I brew the more I come to a point of formulating recipes by % of base malt. As such the RIS category 10-15 yrs ago had a fairly limited offering at even a decent bottle shop. Whereas today most commercial breweries, a number approaching 4000, are making even as a seasonal or limited release at least one Imperial Stout every 2-4 years. Thus the commercial variety and definition has been expanding.

Looking at the O.P. recipe/Jamil's recipe the roasted malt actually only accounts for 10.9, we'll call it 11% of the grain-bill. As such it's very much in line with what a lot of people say concerning various stout recipes. Even then there can be no hard and fast rules for using roasted grains in the various types of stouts.

The BYO article I'm posting a link to is a solid if not almighty voice on the subject. It does however make some keen points concerning water softness/hardness and perceived roast character. Experienced brewers know soft water is better for pale beers ergo the invention of Pilsner beer and hard water accentuates roast malts. That said one can use soft water, my general affliction, and pile on the roasted malts, the article mentions a RIS with 18% dark roasted malts creating a roasty yet softer character. Additionally the article briefly addresses varying approaches to roast character based upon style/what one is aiming toward. For example the dry roasty finish of a dry irish stout vs the soft rounded allure of a silky oatmeal stout. Based upon that article I think it would be interesting with soft/semi-soft water to hit a stout with 20% roasted barley and see what happened.

My move toward formulating recipes based solely off of %s has been hastened by my conversion to small-batch brewing (2 gallon fermenters) due to infrastructure constraints, aka tiny living quarters! My last stout was an am. stout with 9% roasted barley and 4% debittered Carafa II. At transfer after 16 days in primary it had a wonderful medium to moderate just shy of stern and far from over bearing roast character. I used bottled spring water hoping it would be harder than my tap water. Now I'm brewing a RIS to be dumped on a portion of that yeast cake. The formulation is as follows:
Avangard Munich Light: 60%
Maris Otter -----------: 17%
Roasted Barley-British: 12%
Debittered Blk-Belgian: 5%
Crystal 40 -------------: 3%
Crystal 90 -------------: 3%

So I'm looking at 17% dark roasted malt, technically 17.45% for what appears to be fairly neutral to semi-soft water. I'm actually thinking of doing a series of stouts with 10% various roasted malts in each batch, ergo 10% British Roasted Barley batch #1, 10% Chocolate batch #2, 10% Black Patent (I know!) batch #3, 10% debittered Blk batch #4. Would probably put something like 8% crystal 60 and 4% wheat, 78% Maris Otter with the same yeast:hop:water profile.

So I don't have any hard fast rules for how to build an Imperial Stout nor any other type of stout. I do however know that knowledge is great and second only to experience. In this post I attempted to share both in so far as I understand them.

https://byo.com/hops/item/2267-roasted-barley-tips-from-the-pros

Am putting together a RIS and googled 'percentage of roasted malt in stouts' and this thread pops up. What do ya know, I've already posted in it several years ago. Resurrection time! :fro:

I wanted to post an update on my thinking. Obviously beer styles are continually developing and changing with taste changes in the public, both perceived and real. The more I brew the more I come to a point of formulating recipes by percentages. As such the RIS category 10-15 yrs ago had a fairly limited offering at even a decent bottle shop. Whereas today most commercial breweries, a number approaching 4000, are making even as a seasonal or limited release at least one Imperial Stout every 2-4 years. Thus the commercial variety and definition has been expanding.

Looking at the O.P. recipe/Jamil's recipe the roasted malt actually only accounts for 10.9, we'll call it 11% of the grain-bill. As such it's very much in line with what a lot of people say concerning various stout recipes. Even then there can be no hard and fast rules for using roasted grains in the various types of stouts.

The BYO article I'm posting a link to is a solid if not almighty voice on the subject. It does however make some keen points concerning water softness/hardness and perceived roast character. Experienced brewers know soft water is better for pale beers ergo the invention of Pilsner beer and hard water accentuates roast malts. That said one can use soft water, my general affliction, and pile on the roasted malts, the article mentions a RIS with 18% dark roasted malts creating a roasty yet softer character. Additionally the article briefly addresses varying approaches to roast character based upon style/what one is aiming toward. For example the dry roasty finish of a dry irish stout vs the soft rounded allure of a silky oatmeal stout. Based upon that article I think it would be interesting with soft/semi-soft water to hit a stout with 20% roasted barley and see what happened.

My move toward formulating recipes based solely off of %s has been hastened by my conversion to small-batch brewing (2 gallon fermenters) due to infrastructure constraints, aka tiny living quarters! My last stout was an am. stout with 9% roasted barley and 4% debittered Carafa II. At transfer after 16 days in primary it had a wonderful medium to moderate just shy of stern and far from over bearing roast character. I used bottled spring water hoping it would be harder than my tap water. Now I'm brewing a RIS to be dumped on a portion of that yeast cake. The formulation is as follows:
Avangard Munich Light: 60%
Maris Otter -----------: 17%
Roasted Barley-British: 12%
Debittered Blk-Belgian: 5%
Crystal 40 -------------: 3%
Crystal 90 -------------: 3%

So I'm looking at 17% dark roasted malt, technically 17.45% for what appears to be fairly neutral to semi-soft water. I'm actually thinking of doing a series of stouts with 10% various roasted malts in each batch, ergo 10% British Roasted Barley batch #1, 10% Chocolate batch #2, 10% Black Patent (I know!) batch #3, 10% debittered Blk batch #4. Would probably put something like 8% crystal 60 and 4% wheat, 78% Maris Otter with the same yeast:hop:water profile.

So I don't have any hard fast rules for how to build an Imperial Stout nor any other type of stout. I do however know that knowledge is great and second only to experience. In this post I attempted to share both so far as I understand them.

i would recommend tasting some of the different roasted barley options available to you. some, like briess', will not feel like a pile-on of ash and astringency. others, like baird's, are pretty deeply roasted, and can work well in smaller quantities.

the range of these grains is much bigger than you see with something like a few medium or dark crystal malts.

i don't know the maltsters you are using, but from the quantities and SRMs i'm guessing this will be great and not at all too burnt.

So I don't have any hard fast rules for how to build an Imperial Stout nor any other type of stout. I do however know that knowledge is great and second only to experience. In this post I attempted to share both in so far as I understand them.

Designing Great Beers has a section on stouts which takes a statistical look at award-winning AHA recipes and has plenty of charts on the typical ranges of different malts and adjuncts.

I've brewed with most of the malts available to the home brewer and fully understand that one maltster's roasted barley for instance will be 330 lovibond while another's will be 500 (British particularly). My comments are merely reflections upon the prior comments concerning the original topic of how much RB is too much in an I.S. It really depends upon a number of factors as ddrreiso correctly points out, the first being which roasted barley you're using. Secondly the water used greatly effects dark roasted character in beer. Finally it all depends on what you're looking for. A soft water 18% dk roasted grain I.S. sounds wonderful as does an 10% dark roasted grain brew with hard water. The bicarbonates and even the pH which is strongly effected by the achrid nature of dark grains plays an important role in the final beer.

As for Daniels' wonderful book Designing Great Beers I own it. On the front end he addresses the limitations of his work relative to the great many variables available to the homebrewer, including water. It's comparable to the issues pro brewers ace when they convert from say 20 barrel fermenters to 50 barrel fermenters. The different pressures created by the differing fermenter geometry causes their yeast to react differently making them adjust their recipes to produce the same flavor profiles in their beers. My point being that Daniels' work has it's limitations. As a guide it's wonderful! As such in his commentary on Stout recipe formulation at the NHC Daniels says, 'across both commercial and NHC second-round examples, the quantity of roast barley used was consistent at 10% of the grist for dry and foreign styles. Imperial stouts use a bit less at 7% on average; sweet stouts use less still, with an average of 5% for the two examples examined.' In general he observed homebrewers were more prone to 'kitchen sink' approaches including all 3 major dark roasted grains (R.B., choc., & black) while commercial brewers were more likely to brew with only one grain or with more simplified approaches. He noted the combined average for crystal malt usage across the stout spectrum was 9%.

Glad i found this thread, am trying to put together my first imperial stout (hell my first stout at all aside from the bourbon barrel porter from NorthernBrewer that i did recently).. and wondering how many pounds i should use total for a 5 gallon BIAB recipe where i would start with 7 to 7.5 gallons strike water. also percentages maybe need tweaking but i have this so far for the grains...

percentage lbs ingredient
80.00% 16 two-row pale
6.25% 1.25 caramel/crystal 60
6.25% 1.25 chocolate 350/420
2.50% 0.5 honey
2.50% 0.5 carafa
2.50% 0.5 roasted barley
100.00% 20

is 20 not enough? i mean in past i've done one IPA that only had 12lbs grains and the porter had like 16. Should i bump this up even more?

Glad i found this thread, am trying to put together my first imperial stout (hell my first stout at all aside from the bourbon barrel porter from NorthernBrewer that i did recently).. and wondering how many pounds i should use total for a 5 gallon BIAB recipe where i would start with 7 to 7.5 gallons strike water. also percentages maybe need tweaking but i have this so far for the grains...

percentage lbs ingredient
80.00% 16 two-row pale
6.25% 1.25 caramel/crystal 60
6.25% 1.25 chocolate 350/420
2.50% 0.5 honey
2.50% 0.5 carafa
2.50% 0.5 roasted barley
100.00% 20

is 20 not enough? i mean in past i've done one IPA that only had 12lbs grains and the porter had like 16. Should i bump this up even more?

Not sure if you've brewed yet, sorry if too late. However on it's face the recipe looks good and I would break down the grain bill thusly:
Base malt - 80%
Dk roasted malt - 11.25 % (choc, RB, carafa)
Carmel malt - 6.25%
Specialty grain - 2.5%

As for gravity your 20# for a 5 gal batch should give you quite the Imperial Stout, possibly more than your chosen yeast (whatever it may be) can handle. When I began brewing I used www.tastybrew.com to formulate beers, I fooled around with the proprietary software finding it not much different ultimately from what I use now at www.brewtoad.com. So to find out what your recipe will produce run the numbers through one of several online free recipe calculators.

Good luck!

Back