RO Water, Imperial Stout, Bru’n Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy All

Looking to brew my first Imperial Stout. Struggling with the water-side of things. I can’t seam to get the PH in the right range. I can enter a ton of pickling lime and/or Baking Soda. I’ll get Bicarbonate in the right range, but the best I can seem to get for PH is 5.2ish. And that’s before entering other minerals. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I assume I’m missing something obvious.

Grain
2 Row - 15.5 lbs
Crystal 120 - 1 lbs
Black Patent - 12 oz
Chocolate - 12 oz
Barley - 10 oz
Flaked Rye - 8 oz
Flaked Wheat - 8 oz

5.5 gallon batch
100% RO water (only option)

Make sense. Problem is that I can’t seem to put enough of anything in to get the PH in the correct range. The second I put any other minerals in to meet my other numbers, then the PH starts going even further south.

Make sense. Problem is that I can’t seem to put enough of anything in to get the PH in the correct range. The second I put any other minerals in to meet my other numbers, then the PH starts going even further south.

Try this. From slide 9 of the presentation...

1) Start with Distilled (or RO) Water and Grain Bill

2) Decide how much Chloride and/or Sulfate is wanted for flavor, and add Calcium Chloride and/or Calcium Sulfate to reach

3) Check if Calcium Level is adequate.
-• If yes, skip to 4
-• If no, and if mash pH prediction so far is…
-------• too high: add more Calcium Chloride and/or Calcium Sulfate to reach desired calcium
-------• too low: add Calcium Hydroxide to reach desired calcium
-------• right on: add more Calcium Chloride and/or Calcium Sulfate to the kettle only to reach desired calcium

4) If the pH prediction so far is…
-• too high: add acid malt, lactic acid, or phosphoric acid to decrease
-• too low: add Sodium Bicarbonate or Calcium Hydroxide to increase

Back