RO System and Permeate pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uSlackr

Gaughan Brewing... gone brewin'
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to start brewing with water from our RO system so I bought a 10 gallon holding tank for our hoe system(WHER25). I also bought a permeate pump to boost the system pressure. Problem is the permeate pump doesn't work with my manifold system as I cannot put the one tee in where it belongs.

I've tried living without it but the current pressure is only sufficient to store (or perhaps push out) 2-3 gallons in the larger tank and the output pressure at the sink is lower than it was with the original 2 gallon tank.

I haven't found another model permeate pump that works with this system.
I did see one reference for increasing the feed pressure but it didn't say how to go about this.

Appreciate any thoughts you have.

Been staring at this all day and I have an idea. The typical install is to put the permeate in between the tank and the final output filter, but in a manifold this isn't is possible since that "line" is molded into the unit.
I'm going cap the yellow line that runs from the unit to the tank; run the blue output line through the pump and add a tee after the pump output that routes to both the storage tank and the faucet. This should increase the output pressure a bit (and push more into the tank). The downside is the water headed to the faucet will not be filtered from out of the tank. If it becomes an issue, I can add an inline carbon filter.

Just a guess here, but aren't these tanks just pressure or expansion type tanks. Maybe the pressure in the air side of the tank is too high? This would restrict filling and lower pressure at the faucet.

Just a guess here, but aren't these tanks just pressure or expansion type tanks. Maybe the pressure in the air side of the tank is too high? This would restrict filling and lower pressure at the faucet.

It is an expansion tank. Problem as I see it is that the pressure builds as you add water to the tank and eventually offsets the pressure from the RO unit. The permeate pump raises the output pressure so that more water can get into the tank and therefor at a higher pressure.

I installed the pump as described above and have seen a dramatic improvement in water pressure at the tank. Next thing is to try to drain the tank to see how much water is bring saved now.

Hi Greg - feel free to give us a call when you are in front of your RO system if you'd like some configuration/troubleshooting help!

Russ
513-312-2343

Back