Riwaka Pellet Hops.. have you used them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digunderground

Reaction score
I can only find Riwaka Pellet Hops a few places, and they aren't cheap, but I like citrus hops. Has anyone used these? I did a forum search and found a really old post with little information, so I figured i would ask.

I really want to use them for a flavor / aroma hop in a big 2xIPA, but I don't have enough to use for a SHA to figure out the flavors of the hop. I also have summit and have never used them, but I feel bad using such a high AA hop for aroma and flavor. Please let me know your thoughts!!

I used them in an American Pale Ale, which I also added sweet orange peel to. It is kegged and carbing, I have had a couple pints, I would describe them as lemony and fruity (Used the riwaka for flavoring, I also used amarillo for aroma, and magnum for bittering). Not quite as citrusy as Cascade, but a nice replacement.

I was told it was almost tangerine in flavor.. Thanks for the update.. I ws going to do about the same and use amarillo and Riwaka for both aroma and flavor.. Thanks again for the feed back..

what quantity did you put in for flavor? 1oz ?

I'd agree with the above.

I used them in an NZPA - citrusy and a little spicy. Dunno about the tangerine, I'm not that good at pinpointing flavours.

Finally used them in a big IPA. The flavor / aroma ended up very citrus.. almost tangerine / grapefruit. I really like it and would recommend it in any brew that you want citrus overtones. if you like cascade you will love these.

-DIG

Bumpity.

I just bottled the Riwaka Red. I added an ounce of Riwaka dry hops to the recipe, but only 5 days in secondary. What can I say? I'm impatient. Flat and warm, it's a striking red-amber, very smooth from the maltodextrin, and TASTY. Maybe some orange and some... kumquat? The aroma isn't really as present as I was anticipating, but maybe with some carbonation it'll come out.

I used them in an American Amber as a substitute. I think I might add a little more next time. I used 1/4oz at 10 min and 1/4oz at 0 min (along with Cascade at the same time).

Maybe cut back on the Cascade and go more with Riwaka. 1/2oz and 1/6oz cascade.

Riwaka's powerful grapefruit citrus characteristics are breathtaking. It typically has higher than average oil, almost double that of its Saaz parent.

Back