RIS with Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Hey all. Wasnt really sure where to put this thread so i took a guess. Im going to be brewing a batch of edworts haus pale ale in the near future, and i have plans for a RIS also. I was just wondering what everyones opinion was of pitching the ris onto the yeast cake from the haus ale, which will be notty.
Any opinions appreciated.
Thanks

Sounds like a plan to me! Just be prepared for a crazy blowoff, and use foam control drops as well.

that is a great plan, keep the ambient temp around 60 and pitch when the wort is around 65 degrees as well and you will get a clean, well controlled fermentation. I pitched 6 gallons of 1.075 wort on a nottingham cake in a 6.5 gallon fermenter and used a simple airlock...no blowoff issues or anything. Just keep it nice and cool.

+1 to blowoff tube. I wouldn't take the chance. I pitched a robust porter (OG 1.75) onto a notty cake and almost blew the lid off of the primary. Luckily I caught it soon enough. I can't imagine the mess that would have made or how pissed SWMBO would have been...

Back