RIS - Northdown, Glacier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used to use Northdown heavily in my bigger dark ales, and always loved the effect. Nothing I perceived had anything to do with what I usually read as descriptors for the variety. It very well may be the hop in synthesis with everything else (I do like C120 for these same styles, especially the really big beers), or these other ingredients merely overwhelmed the hop contribution, such that it was other things that took center stage.

Nevertheless, classically among my big dark ales, with Northdown I could count on what I called a baked dark fruit quality, almost like plums that have been sugared and baked in an open pie long enough for their juices to run and caramelize, the fruit to slacken and lose its bright tartness. (OK - Satsuma plums, growing up. Mom nailed it).

I would like to pay hommage to my wife's mother country (Estonia) and am playing around with an imperial stout, and am also playing catch-up with hops. I came across Glacier tonight. Anyone use it? I'm very interested. Northdown in for 90 min., Glacier in 10 min. increments starting at 30 before knockout, then a play between Glacier and EKG through into WP.

OG - 23.30 P., 47 SRM.

Thanks for sharing anything you have experienced with Glacier, guys.

I've used Glacier in a Stout, it's fairly neutral as a bittering hop and actually has a slight mint flavor when used later in the boil.

Thanks Upthewazzu. Sounds like another family almost, from the YCH description:

aroma profile: Fruity, Cedar

Released in 2000 by Washington State University, Glacier is an offspring of French Elsasser, Brewer's Gold and Northern Brewer. It was selected for its good yield potential and low co-humulone, providing smoothness and balanced bitterness in beer.

Aroma: Specific aroma descriptors include plum, blackberry and wood.

I do love the dark stonefruit character for these big, 10%+ abv dark ales, but the mint quality isn't something I'm generally drawn towards. Did you enjoy it in your stout?

Well Fullers swear by the blend of Target, Challenger and Northdown, but I appreciate that at a small scale it can be a pain to use small amounts of lots of different hops. I'm quite a fan of Northdown though.

I've not had Glacier, although those mint comments recall Polaris, which is meant to have a really obvious menthol note, I vaguely remember someone making a mint chocolate stout/porter with it.

When I get round to making a dark beer, it's probably going to feature Flyer, which is a newish Wye hop that doesn't have wide availability outside the UK but which has toffee and liquorice notes that are just perfect for late additions to dark beers.

In a more mainstream vein, I'd never say no to a bit of Bramling Cross in the mix (but no more than a third say)

Great, those are some good things to think about, thanks Northern. It's just a personal palate thing, can't get behind mint in general, and the mint-chocolate thing. The toffee and liquorice sounds awesome, and intriguing. Wish I could try that. I'll go back and take a look at B.C., for its potential and thanks for the ratio guidance.

Yeah, I loved Northdown. In fact at one point I became quite bummed as so many of my recipes surrounded its use, and there was some kind of a US supply problem wherein I, anyway, couldn't get any. Had to sub in but I was not a happy camper.

Oh, I find the whole idea of mint-chocolate beer...not for me, but I'm still kinda curious about Polaris. It's got a really interesting oil profile (and lots of it), aside from mental amounts of alpha - could be one for my all-bittering NEIPA....

Bramling Cross, you could probably go higher, my point was that though I love it in the mix I don't think it quite works as a single hop. My current drinking beer is a near-single BX bitter and it's good, just not quite traditional enough. It needs some EKG or classic Wye hops to balance it out and expand the palate a bit..

Might be worth asking your suppliers about Flyer, you never know what they might be able to get hold of - although probably leaf only.

Last year was a tricky harvest - I know commercial brewers who even got shorted on Challenger of all things, supplies were so tight. 2017 is rather different - I've even heard of farmers who started the harvest early because the weight of bines was bringing down the poles.

Wonderful. Thanks so much Northern. It's only vicarious but I get a wealth of all things English brewing from your posts, to include current harvests! - and I really appreciate it.

I messed around a bit and the RIS I want to try once the brewery is up and going (IBU contributions), 12 gallons is ND at 90 (38.7), Challenger at 75 and 30 (26.5, 12.7), BX at 5 (5, 3.00 oz.), EKG and BX each at 1.5 oz, knockout/WP. Not accurate but 82.8, and OG of 23.30 P.

I should do a one-off of nothing but BX. I love to find out more about them this way. I'd love to do it to taste what you mean, too, about it lacking some of the more traditional qualities (edit: worded poorly. I meant when hopping alone; I understand your meaning, I think, anyway).

And thanks for the note on Flyer. Digging now.

Edit: OK, just the briefest of scans on Flyer. Seems tailor-made for these beers. Many thanks, NB!!

I should do a one-off of nothing but BX. I love to find out more about them this way. I'd love to do it to taste what you mean, too, about it lacking some of the more traditional qualities (edit: worded poorly. I meant when hopping alone; I understand your meaning, I think, anyway).

You could always do the "couple of pellets in a bottle of BMC or other bland beer, recap, and drink a few days later" thing, to at least give you a bit of an idea. For me it's all bright mid-tones - trumpets and clarinets with maybe just a hint of bassoon. Which is great if you're doing a parade down Bourbon St but I prefer my beers to be a bit more orchestral, and it doesn't have the cellos and trombones swirling underneath in the way that eg Goldings does. As I say, it's great in a blend, and it works really nicely with crystal in a brown beer whilst still standing distinct.

I messed around a bit and the RIS I want to try once the brewery is up and going (IBU contributions), 12 gallons is ND at 90 (38.7), Challenger at 75 and 30 (26.5, 12.7), BX at 5 (5, 3.00 oz.), EKG and BX each at 1.5 oz, knockout/WP. Not accurate but 82.8, and OG of 23.30 P.

Looks good - maybe a bit more in the WP or dry hop?

Partigyle and get a mild out of the second runnings?

Age some of it with claussenii?

Awesome notes, NB!! You always throw in amazing stuff but this time - I'm not being hyperbolic - you hit it through the roof! Your musical story was beautiful, and I understand you. Completely. Thanks for that.

And I will definitely go back and rework the late hopping, apply your notes. I have a lot of confidence in and respect for your position. Never have I done a partigyle, but at this strength, it would be fun to try it out. Sure. Never heard of claussenii until now - and obviously never done it. First thing that popped up on a quick google scan was....a claussenii imperial stout.

It's like homework, with you, lol. Learning more and having to devise a tree, I think, to set a course of learning. That is absolutely not a bad thing. Cheers.

Edit: Northern, I've always been cautious with hopping, even with IPAs, etc. - seeking balance, whatever the beer. But after reading Mitch Steele's IPA book and the historical journey of hopping rates in the beer, it's made me say, to hell with it, give it a shot. So at this point and on your nudging, 3 oz each of EKG/BX in the dry hop, 1.75 oz EKG, 2.25 BX in WP, all else remains. And I will very much look forward to trying the other techniques. Thanks again.

I have to be honest. I really am a traditionalist to a fault. For me, I find more learning in doing one thing and trying to master it, then in trying to seek out variety and gain from that experience. Just my way (well, influenced from French culinary, and Japanese martial and zen, masters). What I'm trying to say is that I expect my new brewing system will be bathed in best bitter for some time...but my wife and her Estonian family, I know, will finally demand this beer and away we go.

Edit: Wasn't even aware that claussenii was one of the Brett species, lol. Absolutely will try it, again, tailor-made. Thanks again.

You're too kind.

It's like homework, with you, lol. Learning more and having to devise a tree, I think, to set a course of learning. That is absolutely not a bad thing.

...I really am a traditionalist to a fault. For me, I find more learning in doing one thing and trying to master it, then in trying to seek out variety and gain from that experience.

I'd noticed the traditionalist thing, which is precisely why I was gently pushing you towards the partigyling and claussenii, it felt like an open door! :) I can't speak with any experience of either, they're just things that I've read quite a bit about and are on my own list of things to play with at some point, but with so many other things on that list I'm happy for other people to act as pathfinders... Yep, claussenii is one of the milder Bretts, associated with 19th century British stock ales.

Like you, I'm concentrating on honing one beer, a 4% golden ale in my case, and the majority of my brewing is directly or indirectly in support of that, either investigating ingredients (current brew is a 5-way yeast test) or techniques (applying some NEIPA ideas to more modest brews). But there will always be a bit of off-piste stuff like the heritage hops that arrived today, there will likely be a quad for Christmas 2018, and it would be nice to have a 4.5%-ish Flyer dark mild at some point.

As another thought - Baltic oak is a "thing", perhaps you could get some oak chips from the inlaws for that genuine Estonian connection? I can see that turning into an actual barrel at some point.... :mug:

You're too kind.

Not at all. I've learned a lot from you and a number of other English brewers here, and it's just credit where it's due, my cross-briny deep friend.

I'd noticed the traditionalist thing, which is precisely why I was gently pushing you towards the partigyling and claussenii, it felt like an open door! :) I can't speak with any experience of either, they're just things that I've read quite a bit about and are on my own list of things to play with at some point, but with so many other things on that list I'm happy for other people to act as pathfinders... Yep, claussenii is one of the milder Bretts, associated with 19th century British stock ales.

You've got me going, Northern. Really. My wife's grandpa had a wooden cask around his land somewhere, don't know if it has survived, but I'll look into it. Always been terrified of introducing Brett into the brewhouse, but there's no rational reason for it. I'm looking forward to the attempt. And doing a longitudinal tasting, and see how far out this big beast will drink well.

Like you, I'm concentrating on honing one beer, a 4% golden ale in my case, and the majority of my brewing is directly or indirectly in support of that, either investigating ingredients (current brew is a 5-way yeast test) or techniques (applying some NEIPA ideas to more modest brews). But there will always be a bit of off-piste stuff like the heritage hops that arrived today, there will likely be a quad for Christmas 2018, and it would be nice to have a 4.5%-ish Flyer dark mild at some point.

Sounds great, and I am with you in that kind of effort. Timing. I was reading a rather bleak article on British brewing from an old Brewing Techniques, (6:5 1998), written by the-then general secretary of SIBA, Peter Haydon. In the article he mentions the late and much-missed Jim Laker, Founder of Exmoor Ales and one of the earliest creators of golden ales, "the style that will probably be the British craft brewers' greatest legacy.").

I know nothing of this special ale, and I'd love to learn more. Very cool to me that this is your what we would have at one time called "one point" training.

As another thought - Baltic oak is a "thing", perhaps you could get some oak chips from the inlaws for that genuine Estonian connection? I can see that turning into an actual barrel at some point.... :mug:

That cask I mentioned, on the hunt. But the wood they drown in "up there" (Upper Peninsula of Michigan, across Lake Superior from Canada) is birch. That, and spruce (there will be a sahti coming sooner rather than later). I'm really curious about this Baltic oak legacy. Another thing you've got me going on. I wonder if that book, something about beer and wood, is any good?

Last edited:
Always been terrified of introducing Brett into the brewhouse, but there's no rational reason for it.

It's understandable, you could handle it somewhere apart from your main brewhouse, do you have a shed or borrow a neighbour's garage or something in return for some liquid rent? But clausenii is less scary than some.

Sounds great, and I am with you in that kind of effort. Timing. I was reading a rather bleak article on British brewing from an old Brewing Techniques, (6:5 1998), written by the-then general secretary of SIBA, Peter Haydon. In the article he mentions the late and much-missed Jim Laker, Founder of Exmoor Ales and one of the earliest creators of golden ales, "the style that will probably be the British craft brewers' greatest legacy.").

I know nothing of this special ale, and I'd love to learn more. Very cool to me that this is your what we would have at one time called "one point" training.

Here's the homepage : https://www.exmoorales.co.uk/index.php?route=information/ales&ales_id=6

Heh. It's weird, the collective memory doesn't give Jim and Exmoor Gold the credit they deserve (pace Boddingtons), I think it's one of those things where the true revolutionaries do something that seems blindingly obvious in hindsight, just stripping a beer down to a single malt and nothing else. I suspect technical advances in malting and barley breeding probably had something to do with it - the true hidden heroes of brewing, but it's very similar to my base beer. It's in Wheeler, but from memory it's about 10lb of Maris Otter, about 30IBU of Challenger 60, then a bit of Goldings 10 and some Savinjski dry hop, fermented down to 1.010 at 4.5% ABV.

A huge amount of British cask ale now follows that formula, although the late additions are more likely to feature things like Cascade/Citra/NZ (in relatively restrained amounts). I've watched at the tap of a cask-led brewery that's won many big awards for its dark and strong beers, yet 5 pints out of 6 being bought were of their session golden. In fact I was talking to a brewer today who was surprised how much of their brown bitter they were selling - because the competition are selling nothing but pales and pubs just want a bit of variety! Puts me in mind of another brewery who make a point of making a porter at the height of summer, which always goes well because it's such a contrast to what everyone else is doing.

My default beer is about 25IBU of EKG (my house style always has EKG somewhere, as a nod to my Kent connections and I usually get more IBU from my late additions than Exmoor did with smaller amounts of Goldings 10) and then a 100g pack of whatever spread from 10 minutes to dry hop (schedule varies a bit depending on what I'm testing and how complicated it makes doing a 5-way). Yeast always includes a batch with Mangrove Jack M36 Liberty Bell for the simple reason that my LHBS recced it and always have it in stock, and it works pretty well for this kind of thing (at least, that's what I think before starting all these yeast tests!) So a pretty simple beer, but with lots of flexibility for playing around.

I'm really curious about this Baltic oak legacy.

Oh, it was a major part of the Baltic trade, it's how they paid for all that stout! The oak there grows straight and fast, so the grain is quite open which makes it great for floorboards and panelling. But an open grain is not so good for barrels as it gives up too much woodiness to the liquid, so it was generally coated in resin (another thing that the Baltic was big on). I'm sure your in laws have forgotten more about this stuff than I will ever know, so I think you need to earn some son-in-law points letting them talk about it over a brew or two!

I think of the trepidation Goose Island (place I worked) had in introducing lager into the brewery for some kind of one-off, may have been a contract brew. Ultimately, when I said it's irrational, my fear with Brett, I meant it just requires the same careful labwork as anything. But I am far more heartened by your idea - keep it somewhere else, lol!!!

Thank you for the link and for the wonderful back story on the Gold. I am a bit embarrassed to say, I knew and know so little. I'm looking forward to reading up. I'm so involved in bitter land, I'm afraid. BTW - after obtaining HH from Brewlab and very much looking forward to brewing with it, I'm lusting after Shepherd Neame. And Brakspear. And Bateman's. So while I have HH in the cooler, I'm starting to think of yeast from the south. I'm a freak, lol.

I'll look up Wheeler. This is great lore, Northern, and I'm also gratified to get a bit more about what you're doing. Looking forward to more.

My in-laws. As you might have seen, I'm already dead for having talked about "Lahti" as opposed to "sahti," lol. So a little piece of oak alongside my head won't do much more, I'm afraid. :D

ps: Just thumbing through Wheeler and Protz and came to the Exmoor Gold. Your memory is better than mine, lol! They've got Challenger and Fuggles in the boil, last 15 min., Fuggles and EKG, 40 IBU's, 4.7 abv. One thing I wish from the book is that it give dry hopping in its recipes. Good to know on the Savinjski. I'd like to hunt around for both Brakspear and Shepherd Neame - they're both listed with what seems like considerable white sugar, to me, but then I'm not used to using sugar. I should just try them and see how they come out.

I'm so involved in bitter land, I'm afraid. BTW - after obtaining HH from Brewlab and very much looking forward to brewing with it, I'm lusting after Shepherd Neame. And Brakspear. And Bateman's. So while I have HH in the cooler, I'm starting to think of yeast from the south.

Sadly that lust for Sheps is probably as misplaced as Harvey Weinstein's taste for aspiring actresses, they've not made great beer for nearly 20 years now. The fact that they sell their flagship beer in clear bottles says it all.

I should start with the caveat that I don't drink a lot of trad bitter these days, it's a style that is hugely dependent on good cellarmanship, and even when it's been looked after it's not at peak for very long. But Harveys Best is the only trad bitter I've had lately from a regional south of the Trent to have given me that transcendant angels-errm,"getting intimate with"-my-tongue moment. Start there and forget the others for now. Although IIRC Harveys lost their yeast in a flood and ended up getting new yeast from John Smiths I think.

I've heard that Young's has got dramatically better of late - whether that's Charles Wells getting things right on their own or the influence of Marstons who have now bought their brewing interests, I don't know.

The Brakspear that Roger Protz eulogised in the early 90s has gone - soon after that they lost their multistrain yeast, and they've since been assimilated by Marstons and I think got a new yeast from them, but I get the impression that Marstons have handled them relatively sympathetically compared to some takeovers. It's not my patch though, so I can't think when I last saw Brakspear on tap.

ps: Just thumbing through Wheeler and Protz and came to the Exmoor Gold. Your memory is better than mine, lol! They've got Challenger and Fuggles in the boil, last 15 min., Fuggles and EKG, 40 IBU's, 4.7 abv. One thing I wish from the book is that it give dry hopping in its recipes. Good to know on the Savinjski. I'd like to hunt around for both Brakspear and Shepherd Neame - they're both listed with what seems like considerable white sugar, to me, but then I'm not used to using sugar. I should just try them and see how they come out.

40IBU feels a bit high - or at least it does for typical modern golden ale, I'd guess a bitterness ratio of say 0.75 is more typical these days but I can't remember having EG itself lately, certainly not since I've had an app to act as beer-memory. And it's worth noting that the current version at least is 4.5% per the website. ISTR there has been some discussion about how EG recipes vary in different Wheeler books - I think there was one version that adjusted for a low-alpha hop vintage and then some people tried to read across those higher quantities of hops using more typical alpha values.

White sugar looks like a typical simplification when the commercial version would have used invert, but 5-10% is pretty common.

Northern, first of all, to think of Weinstein with anything so noble as British bitter leaves me....cold. And fizzy.

And that really saddens me to hear about Shepherd Neame. 20 years ago is probably the last time I had it. It was actually here, in Madison (Wisconsin) where I had it, at a restaurant where my wife worked at the time. They had both Spitfire and Bishop's Finger, and I loved them both. So much so that I hunted all the way to Chicago, I believe it was, to bring some up north to my in-laws (hop-mad, all. I've tried to teach them balance, to no avail. So I've needed to make a 75 IBU, Chinook-laden (nothing wrong with the hop - not my thing) ale, to appease them). At any rate, I loved these two ales and presumed the rest of the lineup was just as great. What happened? More consolidation, or just standards?

I do hear you on the bitter. I came to appreciate the true importance of cellarmanship when we went to England for that beer dinner with Michael Jackson, and Mark Dorber (wonderful meal prepared by his wife, BTW). I never lost that lesson, though I've not been fortunate to see it - or perform it - since. I'm getting an engine back within the month and hope to work on it.

Actually, on conditioning and process along the way:

I'm actually in something of a thought maze, as usual. I'd like to dry hop using a pellet slurry, in order to bottle condition. I'd also like to emulate, for now, Black Sheep's process. So:

Open fermentation and rousing, collect yeast at 64, continue rise to 68-70, hold here max 3 days;
They then start a slow cool down to 50F, no more rapid than over 36 hours. They claim a diacetyl rest here, which perplexes me, but nevermind - I love their beer. They then rest 2 days or so, remove excess yeast then transfer to conditioning vessel. Day or 2 of finings (unless they fine in casks?), and without priming or additional yeast, rack into casks.

It's here where I'd likely diverge. I'd allow open fermentation to a couple points away from FG, then, continuing at 68F, rack into a closed vessel and dry hop for 3 days. Rack into a third vessel for that cooling period. Rack into a 4th, mixing vessel for priming, then bottle.

That's a lot of vessels and the danger of O2 pickup, I know, is huge. So I'm working on it.

Thanks on Harvey's Best. I've been reading where I can, and will do some digging to find and drink some.

Last night when I first read this post it honestly saddened me to read of all these consolidations. I know I was being naive as it happens everywhere, and only seems to be accelerating (my cousin is a California winemaker, and his former company was bought up by Bourbon concerns out of Kentucky. They collapsed all the equipment to aid capacity for a low level table wine. One example).

At any rate, I've always used WLP's Burton Ale, which we know is putatively known as Brakspear's yeast. It's always done really well by me. Since I've moved north, I'd planned to use either WLP037 or Wyeast 1469, but now that I have Brewlab's HH (thank you!), I'm very excited to stay in a northern vein until, as we've discussed, I can call at least some middling mastery of some important elements.

Your comment on the EG is interesting. I did read through both Wheeler/Protz and Protz's Real Ale book, and the only difference they showed is that Protz has ABV at 4.75, not much. Thanks for the pickup on the BU:GU, which without even drinking it and knowing better, seems huge at .89, seems completely wrong to me, anyway!

Very interesting on this notion of adjusting for alpha values. Are there other Wheeler books you could recommend? I'd like to brew from his book, just not sure how close the recipes are. I wouldn't have a clue, of course.

Finally thanks on the likely correction on the invert sugar. It did strike me as odd. And thanks for the typical percentages. We discussed some time ago the use of sugar (valuable - thanks there, too, for the historical perspective!), and though I've written some recipes using invert, I immediately went back to writing up with malt only. I should just have the guts and ferment out a brew or more with sugar(s), and see what I end up with.

Last edited:
Oh. I'm pretty proud of my cousin. He's a truly gifted winemaker and what's happened to the industry has been hard on a lot of people like him. I used to call him when I worked for Goose, for technical guidance. One time, his cell phone cut out. Reason, he told me? He was among the vines.

Among the vines. I was in a truly wretched, industrial section of Chicago, all kinds of mischief to include the tragic murder of a prostitute across the street, and my cousin couldn't get a signal because he was in a vineyard. I don't know that I ever believed that one, but it's a good story of brewing and wine farming (yes, farming, not making).

The aforementioned trip to England. After completing the Fuller's tour, we went to their attached shop, of course. There in their shop, my cousin's wines were stacked in a pyramid, for sale. Couldn't believe it. Neither could the shop owner.

background.jpg

Sorry for the slow reply - I knew this was going to be a long one!

leaves me....cold. And fizzy.

And we definitely can't have that! :mug:

They had both Spitfire and Bishop's Finger, and I loved them both....I loved these two ales and presumed the rest of the lineup was just as great. What happened? More consolidation, or just standards?

An acquaintance who brewed there made dark mutterings about what was happening on the brewing side at the time, but would not be drawn further. From the outside, it looks like partly just a succession thing, new guy wasn't as good a brewer, also the success of Spitfire made them think of themselves more as a national brand, and it became more about the MBAs and marketers than about the guys making the product (qv clear bottles). You had a lot of brewers ditch brewing after the Beer Orders and concentrate on their pubs and property - Sheps had more pressure on that front thanks to being in the southeast where property prices went most crazy, but they kept the brewing but concentrated more on contract brewing foreign lager brands like Asahi and Oranjeboom, I think the ales got rather neglected as a result. Now they've been riding the next bubble with a series of fake-craft beers, but they don't seem to be doing it quite as well as say Adnams.

So short answer - beancounters and marketeers.

I'd like to dry hop using a pellet slurry, in order to bottle condition.

Not quite clear why bottle conditioning affects dryhopping? Do it in the primary/secondary tanks surely?

Day or 2 of finings (unless they fine in casks?), and without priming or additional yeast, rack into casks.

Generally breweries rack off most of the yeast, then it's a choice between leaving some in to carbonate as many do, but the more professional/industrial/keg-influenced breweries tend to rack completely bright and then add a specialist conditioning yeast as carbonating is more predictable and consistent that way.

Thanks on Harvey's Best. I've been reading where I can, and will do some digging to find and drink some.

I've just come across some pure yeast porn, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of their yeast. Seems I was right about it coming from John Smiths (they even know which train it arrived on!), but they needed a new one not because of a flood but because their supplier in Burton closed down. Obviously it's changed after 3000 generations but the original was 75% attenuation and dropped well.

https://www.harveys.org.uk/60th-anniversary-harveys-yeast/

Last night when I first read this post it honestly saddened me to read of all these consolidations.

Meh - change is the only constant. Each generation has its own beer - porter, mild, bitter, lager, APA, and the industry has to reconfigure accordingly. We need to kill off the likes of Barclay Perkins in order to make room for the Beavertowns - and the old regionals made a lot of indifferent beer as well. There's also the deadening effect of their local pub monopolies - drinkers in Kent would be far better served if Sheps was reconfigured into 20 companies each with a 20bbl plant and 20 pubs in place of the current near-monopoly.

I've always used WLP's Burton Ale, which we know is putatively known as Brakspear's yeast.

See, that's always been one that's confused me, because Brakspear is nowhere near Burton. Also it's known that their original multi-strain was derived from Mann's in London - it's not clear, but I suspect it came from the yeast that evolved at Simpsons of Baldock after they bought it from Mann's in the 1930s and which was spread around quite widely after they were bought by Greene King. So either a "Brakspear" yeast is a component of that original multistrain, or it's one that was brought in when they reopened after Marstons got involved. In which case it's a Marston yeast, and yes it would be from Burton.

Maybe it's a component of the multistrain that behaves in a Burtony way - the double drop system is quite Union-like, so the yeast could be similar.

Your comment on the EG is interesting. I did read through both Wheeler/Protz and Protz's Real Ale book, and the only difference they showed is that Protz has ABV at 4.75, not much. Thanks for the pickup on the BU:GU, which without even drinking it and knowing better, seems huge at .89, seems completely wrong to me, anyway!

Are there other Wheeler books you could recommend? I'd like to brew from his book, just not sure how close the recipes are. I wouldn't have a clue, of course.

Looking at them they seem OK - but as I say he does use shortcuts and has changed his ideas a bit through time. I'm not really into cloning so I've never actually tried any of his recipes. I think BU:GU breaks down a bit at low gravities, but certainly 0.8-0.9 is pretty common for standard British beers (although many are lower).

You're not late, I am, my English brewing compatriot. Not sure if you would have seen but got myself dinged up after a trip up north and I'm not doing the tomes. I wanted to get back to you just to say thank you and to say I'll respond in substance in a day or two. Basically, re: dry hopping, I'm being religious about Black Sheep's schedule which includes a slow cool down to 10F in the open fermentor, which leaves no room that I can see for a dry hopping regime unless I change something - rack into a closed vessel and continue at 20ish for 3 days, rack to another (I don't dry hop longer than 3 days - like tea, if you want strength, increase the quantity, not the time in contact) and do the 3 days cooldown, rack again; or cool down, xfer to conditioning vessel, then dry hop, which also makes no sense to me.

Anyway, thank you, just saying, sorry myself for a late reply and once it doesn't look to my neighbors like I'm a thug off a bender, I'll spend some time in honest reply to your helpful, as always, post.

Not sure if you would have seen but got myself dinged up after a trip up north

No I hadn't, sorry to hear that, what happened? Second thoughts, don't answer that, at least no on board.

Still can't quite see the problem with finding a couple of days in the schedule to dry hop, can't you do it with leaf in socks and pull out when done? I'm definitely of the 2-3 day dry hops school myself, but could perhaps add a day or two if doing it at low temperatures?

No I hadn't, sorry to hear that, what happened? Second thoughts, don't answer that, at least no on board.

Hey Northern,

Oh, just one of the many peculiarities of this condition I've had for a decade basically is that I can walk like an idiot sometimes. I literally took a step and next thing I knew, I'd been very polite to say hello to the pavement prior to jamming (thank god) first my knees, then my face, into said obdurate and unfriendly welcome mat. Fine, just felt brilliant rejoining my wife and son in the car. Oh, same leg of the journey, prior, gas nozzle got stuck on "on" for some reason and I withdrew the thing, only to be hosed down with a good amount of petrol. Mr. Bean, on a bad day? :D

Not quite clear why bottle conditioning affects dryhopping? Do it in the primary/secondary tanks surely? ... Still can't quite see the problem with finding a couple of days in the schedule to dry hop, can't you do it with leaf in socks and pull out when done? I'm definitely of the 2-3 day dry hops school myself, but could perhaps add a day or two if doing it at low temperatures?

I have thought of switching to leaf hops and going over to a hopback anyway, so perhaps this is one good reason to impel my move. As it is, I hop slurry. I will abandon it to a method that suits what I want to do, but for the time being, I really do want to pierce Black Sheep's way a bit, especially as I'm using their yeast. I can't seem to marry their fermentation regime with my 3-day slurry, crash cool, and rack.

Maybe you've a specific idea here? Given they open ferment at 20ish for 3 days, slow cool to 10 over 3 days, day or two there then on to conditioning tank where it rests for another day or two at 10 before racking (if I've interpreted it right, they seem to go by yeast counts to know when to rack off into casks).

Anyway, if I do what I usually do and dry hop near the end of primary, .5-1.0P above terminal, then go 3 days warm, that would be longer than B.S.'s warm period, much more, I should think. And I crash cool, which encourages good dropout, so I can rack clean into a final vessel. I don't know what a slow cool down to 10C would do, in terms of pellet slurry dropout. I also don't know how much a dry hopping at 10 v. 20 would blunt extraction. Perhaps the only way to know is to try.

Maybe I am just missing something obvious?

An acquaintance who brewed there made dark mutterings about what was happening on the brewing side at the time, but would not be drawn further. From the outside, it looks like partly just a succession thing, new guy wasn't as good a brewer, also the success of Spitfire made them think of themselves more as a national brand, and it became more about the MBAs and marketers than about the guys making the product (qv clear bottles). You had a lot of brewers ditch brewing after the Beer Orders and concentrate on their pubs and property - Sheps had more pressure on that front thanks to being in the southeast where property prices went most crazy, but they kept the brewing but concentrated more on contract brewing foreign lager brands like Asahi and Oranjeboom, I think the ales got rather neglected as a result. Now they've been riding the next bubble with a series of fake-craft beers, but they don't seem to be doing it quite as well as say Adnams.

So short answer - beancounters and marketeers.

Thanks for going into it. Makes it perfectly clear, though again, this stuff saddens me (I know, you're right. I'm hopeless when it comes to change, particularly "of an era.") I have no idea the real impact of the Beer Orders but know it's moved a lot of breweries into pub business. Not sure if this is part of the Orders or another (perhaps aged, at this point - across the pond and ignorant as to current developments). Did I read somewhere about some kind of collusive thing with distributors such that some of these new "publicans" had essentially gotten around tied house amendments, and have de facto returned their business where it was before? Wish I could try more of them. I'm still moving with a northern palate, if I can be so pompous, but also have a lot of fond tastes in memory of southern ales and want to play with that sensibility, too.

Generally breweries rack off most of the yeast, then it's a choice between leaving some in to carbonate as many do, but the more professional/industrial/keg-influenced breweries tend to rack completely bright and then add a specialist conditioning yeast as carbonating is more predictable and consistent that way.

I do know of the latter approach but have never done it and doubt I ever will. Not trying to sound pompous, but it just feels.....weird to me, inauthentic to the purpose, perhaps? I don't know, that is pompous. I just really want to use the batch yeast only. If I could come up with a dependable way to know my counts - I don't have a 'scope and hemacytometer - that would be great. Probably nothing less than doing a million batches by the same process, to see what I come up with, will do. Or more probably, I'm making way too much of this as usual. My first extract beers, well, didn't suck, you know? I can't even remember - probably just some measure of how far off terminal, a given priming solution, and go. Working that simple thing into the ideas above, with cooling and dry hop regimes, these complicate that first, simple thing.

Phew! Talking too much. I blame the face plant.:tank:

I've just come across some pure yeast porn, to celebrate the 60th anniversary of their yeast. Seems I was right about it coming from John Smiths (they even know which train it arrived on!), but they needed a new one not because of a flood but because their supplier in Burton closed down. Obviously it's changed after 3000 generations but the original was 75% attenuation and dropped well.

https://www.harveys.org.uk/60th-anniversary-harveys-yeast/

Thanks for that one. This is awesome! Read somewhere today, too, on Chevallier, which makes me also drool. I don't think we can get it in the States, but man I wish we could. Would love to try it in strong bitters and old ales.

Meh - change is the only constant. Each generation has its own beer - porter, mild, bitter, lager, APA, and the industry has to reconfigure accordingly. We need to kill off the likes of Barclay Perkins in order to make room for the Beavertowns - and the old regionals made a lot of indifferent beer as well. There's also the deadening effect of their local pub monopolies - drinkers in Kent would be far better served if Sheps was reconfigured into 20 companies each with a 20bbl plant and 20 pubs in place of the current near-monopoly.

OK, point taken. And appreciated. I'd like to think more on this.

See, that's always been one that's confused me, because Brakspear is nowhere near Burton. Also it's known that their original multi-strain was derived from Mann's in London - it's not clear, but I suspect it came from the yeast that evolved at Simpsons of Baldock after they bought it from Mann's in the 1930s and which was spread around quite widely after they were bought by Greene King. So either a "Brakspear" yeast is a component of that original multistrain, or it's one that was brought in when they reopened after Marstons got involved. In which case it's a Marston yeast, and yes it would be from Burton.

Maybe it's a component of the multistrain that behaves in a Burtony way - the double drop system is quite Union-like, so the yeast could be similar.

I am embarrassed to say I had no idea till reading this, looked at your country's map, and went, what the hell? Your good reasoning notwithstanding, I guess I can't simply know how you can market something as a "Burton Yeast" from the Thames Valley. Knowing what you've told me, now, a big American "duh."

I understand the union reference and Burton quality, but who is or was doing the double-dropping you reference - is it Mann's, and you're saying the double-dropping selected for yeasts that share many of the characteristics union yeasts shared/share with Marston's now?

Looking at them they seem OK - but as I say he does use shortcuts and has changed his ideas a bit through time. I'm not really into cloning so I've never actually tried any of his recipes. I think BU:GU breaks down a bit at low gravities, but certainly 0.8-0.9 is pretty common for standard British beers (although many are lower).

OK, thanks. I'm not really into cloning, but for two reasons - one, I can't get many of the beers I really love, so to the extent I can get close, makes me all giddy. Secondly, an eternal, feudal apprentice, if I can "steal the mind" (a Japanese training concept) by doing it, I feel I've learned much more about the brewer or brewery, than the beer.

Had no idea the BU:GU's were this high. Thanks. Very valuable.

Thanks for such a considered couple of posts, Northern. Truly appreciated.

Ouch, at least the petrol didn't catch fire...

If you're going to be emulating trad British practice, then leaf hops are arguably part of that - certainly I get the impression that UK brewing is far more geared up to leaf than US brewers. But if your requirements are to dry hop for 3 days and before a racking point, then that implies dry hopping at the start of the 3 day cool? I can't see 10C vs 20C making a massive difference - push back extraction by a few hours mebbe, but 90% of the small molecules come out within 24 hours anyway. Suspect you're overthinking this one.... :)

Beer Orders in 1989 said that no brewer could own >2000 pubs and they had to allow a guest ale. But it was the butterfly that unleashed much wider change in the industry, notably the creation of giant pub companies with thousands of pubs, that weren't tied to a brewery as such, but do rely as much on tied sales to pubs as in straight rent. So it's a different form of power. But the original Big Six no longer really exist - the brewing interests/brands of Allied, Bass, Courage, Grand Metropolitan (Truman & Watney), Scottish & Newcastle and Whitbread were bought by Carlsberg, Interbrew (now ABI), Wells (now Marstons), S&N (mostly), Heineken and Interbrew respectively.

Can't argue with a northern palate! :)

I'm a bit more relaxed about conditioning yeast - I view it like the Burton Union, just another technological fix for the poor dropping characteristics of Burton yeast. Certainly Marstons use it, the main inheritors of the Burton tradition. I really hope Burton Bridge don't use it, the biggest microbrewery in Burton, as I rather fancy harvesting their yeast, they explain how they selected it from the NCYC.

Thanks for reminding me of Chevallier, although I use Otter for almost all my stuff as a consistent baseline whilst experimenting with other factors, I might get some Chevallier for my heritage hops. I have had it in a commercial beer, but all I can remember is that it was nice beer without the malt really striking me as something special. Crisp seem to be the main proponents of it, so you might want to see if any Crisp sellers can get hold of it for you. It costs 50% more than Otter here, so I dread to think how much you will pay for it!!

The whole naming system of WL/Wyeast products is kinda screwed, but you have to think back to the fact that most of them seem to have been acquired from bottle harvesting in the 90s. These days just some very basic DNA sequencing versus some Brewlab/NCYC standards would tie things down much more satisfactorily, but there's still that level of commercial paranoia around these things.

The 1275/WLP023 names are some of the most inconsistent, all I can think is that one is naming after the brewery (Brakspear is in the Thames Valley) whereas the Burton thing is either a general style indicator or hints at its true origin - breweries bought in yeast from all over the place and as I say Brakspear were taken over by Marstons about 10 years ago.

Another weird one is 1318 London Ale III, which USians attribute to Boddingtons (in Manchester), but which seems to have originally come from Courage, I've not worked out if it came from the Boddies library or whether they bought in the Courage yeast after losing theirs around 1981.

As an aside, per my post yesterday on the NEIPA thread, I suspect the new WLP066 London Fog is a Mann strain of some kind, it has rubbish attenuation and flocculation and they're the only major extant "London" brewer not represented by a homebrew yeast.

Double drop is kinda like a one-off Burton Union, I guess the Union represents a development of something that was once more widespread in Midlands/southern breweries but which these days is associated with Brakspear. You drop it by gravity from the copper into an initial fermenter, where the yeast is pitched, and then move it again into a second fermenter about a third of the way through fermentation. You're racking off the trub and rousing the yeast at the same time.

I suspect the median BU:GU is more like 0.75, but my northern palate likes the high side rather than the low side...

Ouch, at least the petrol didn't catch fire...

Yeah, that would have made a bad dad a tad worse, :D

If you're going to be emulating trad British practice, then leaf hops are arguably part of that - certainly I get the impression that UK brewing is far more geared up to leaf than US brewers. But if your requirements are to dry hop for 3 days and before a racking point, then that implies dry hopping at the start of the 3 day cool? I can't see 10C vs 20C making a massive difference - push back extraction by a few hours mebbe, but 90% of the small molecules come out within 24 hours anyway. Suspect you're overthinking this one.... :)

Believe me, that has been on my mind since coming back to brewing. I actually used whole leaf cones entirely, when I began brewing 20 years ago. Believe it was Freshops, not sure. Couldn't wait to bury my head in the bags when they arrived. False bottom, no pellets, no WP. I don't recall when I switched to pellets but I do recall it was a difficult decision - came down to a relative estimation of lupulin destruction during processing v. oxidation in storage. But it was basically a flip of the coin, I think, and because I had good results consistently, probably why I stayed. That, and once I began working for GI and they used only pellets, well, set my course.

I appreciate your comment, though, because I do want to emulate British practice, do want to keep fidelity to a certain tradition, so am thinking of biting the bullet for another false bottom from Spike (ouch, at this point....but everything in its time), even finding or getting made a true hop back (not sure the Hop Rocket cuts it, due to its volume/content limitation).

And on my stated intention, you're probably right and I am overthinking it. Tend to be a perfectionist (well, that's a lie - I am a perfectionist, to a sincere fault) and so freaking out in thinking of the extraction difference between the two temps. Thinking of longer contact gets me freaking out on vegetal pickup. But at the end of the day, you're almost certainly correct, it will amount to virtually or perhaps definitively nothing. I should just quit yapping and brew the regime and see what happens.

Beer Orders in 1989 said that no brewer could own >2000 pubs and they had to allow a guest ale. But it was the butterfly that unleashed much wider change in the industry, notably the creation of giant pub companies with thousands of pubs, that weren't tied to a brewery as such, but do rely as much on tied sales to pubs as in straight rent. So it's a different form of power. But the original Big Six no longer really exist - the brewing interests/brands of Allied, Bass, Courage, Grand Metropolitan (Truman & Watney), Scottish & Newcastle and Whitbread were bought by Carlsberg, Interbrew (now ABI), Wells (now Marstons), S&N (mostly), Heineken and Interbrew respectively.

Thanks for that. Don't know what it's like in England, but amazing the marketing shield these big interests do to preserve the pastiche of "craft." Budweiser's mounting a hop commercial showing a farmer in some nordic (?) locale testing, rubbing, smelling, harvesting hops just for Goose Island. It's a Bud commercial. I don't know, maybe so. But having worked there, I had to laugh.

Can't argue with a northern palate! :)

Lol, I wouldn't even try. And no, you can't!

I'm a bit more relaxed about conditioning yeast - I view it like the Burton Union, just another technological fix for the poor dropping characteristics of Burton yeast. Certainly Marstons use it, the main inheritors of the Burton tradition. I really hope Burton Bridge don't use it, the biggest microbrewery in Burton, as I rather fancy harvesting their yeast, they explain how they selected it from the NCYC.

Hmm. Yes. Again my rather slavish (and naive) painting a picture of a given "tradition", when that tradition itself does things that belie the image in my skull. (Water's a good one - boiling or using slaked lime to pre-treat water? Impossible! Pure, natural water - this is what distinguishes a brewery, the terroir of the place....). I hear you and thanks because it gives another point to think about.

Offhand, do you know the behavior of HH (presuming it B.S. yeast)? Its description seems to imply it's a dropper, but not as much as others in its family. I'll find out, just curious.

I guess while we're here - do you have any Burton-area yeast you could recommend, from breweries living or dead, that are just, well, stunning in aiding the profile of this region? Brewlab is fine. Great company, great service, even across the pond to me. But WL/WY too. Anywhere, would just like to try something dependably "Burton."

Thanks for reminding me of Chevallier, although I use Otter for almost all my stuff as a consistent baseline whilst experimenting with other factors, I might get some Chevallier for my heritage hops. I have had it in a commercial beer, but all I can remember is that it was nice beer without the malt really striking me as something special. Crisp seem to be the main proponents of it, so you might want to see if any Crisp sellers can get hold of it for you. It costs 50% more than Otter here, so I dread to think how much you will pay for it!!

Interesting on the sensory notes, thanks. It floored me just reading the recent thread about it here. I did look into it on Crisp and queried them on possibility of US, but so far, no luck. Actually, literally as I'm writing it, one of my local stores carries Crisp M.O. Wonder if they could get some. I'll get in touch with them.

The whole naming system of WL/Wyeast products is kinda screwed, but you have to think back to the fact that most of them seem to have been acquired from bottle harvesting in the 90s. These days just some very basic DNA sequencing versus some Brewlab/NCYC standards would tie things down much more satisfactorily, but there's still that level of commercial paranoia around these things.

The 1275/WLP023 names are some of the most inconsistent, all I can think is that one is naming after the brewery (Brakspear is in the Thames Valley) whereas the Burton thing is either a general style indicator or hints at its true origin - breweries bought in yeast from all over the place and as I say Brakspear were taken over by Marstons about 10 years ago.

Another weird one is 1318 London Ale III, which USians attribute to Boddingtons (in Manchester), but which seems to have originally come from Courage, I've not worked out if it came from the Boddies library or whether they bought in the Courage yeast after losing theirs around 1981.

As an aside, per my post yesterday on the NEIPA thread, I suspect the new WLP066 London Fog is a Mann strain of some kind, it has rubbish attenuation and flocculation and they're the only major extant "London" brewer not represented by a homebrew yeast.

Yeesh. All I can say is yeesh, what a mess. Right, seems the only way to nail it down is through DNA sequencing but we know that will never happen (unless there are lawsuits, I suppose). I don't know, seems nigh impossible from reading this and previous paragraphs you've made on the subject.

The above query on a "good Burton yeast?" Well....:tank:

Double drop is kinda like a one-off Burton Union, I guess the Union represents a development of something that was once more widespread in Midlands/southern breweries but which these days is associated with Brakspear. You drop it by gravity from the copper into an initial fermenter, where the yeast is pitched, and then move it again into a second fermenter about a third of the way through fermentation. You're racking off the trub and rousing the yeast at the same time.

Oh, OK, gotcha. I know of dropping as a traditional method, just never heard the term double-dropping. In one of my books, can't find it. Isn't there one (maybe more) brewery still practicing it? Or perhaps practiced until the last, say, 20-30 years?

I suspect the median BU:GU is more like 0.75, but my northern palate likes the high side rather than the low side...

Huh. That surprises me. My suspicion has always been the opposite, that you lot prefer gravity to hops. Am I mangling maltiness for gravity, perhaps? Or just gotten it flat out wrong?

Don't know what it's like in England, but amazing the marketing shield these big interests do to preserve the pastiche of "craft."

It's always a bit different here, because it was never so clearly "David vs Goliath", the energy was more about cask vs keg than pure size (and the Beer Orders did much of the work in bringing down the big boys). Also the established brewers have gone more down the route of creating their own pseudo-craft brands rather than buying companies outright, most try to hide their roots but some like the Charlie Wells craft brand embrace them.

do you know the behavior of HH (presuming it B.S. yeast)? Its description seems to imply it's a dropper, but not as much as others in its family. I'll find out, just curious.

I guess while we're here - do you have any Burton-area yeast you could recommend, from breweries living or dead, that are just, well, stunning in aiding the profile of this region? Brewlab is fine. Great company, great service, even across the pond to me. But WL/WY too. Anywhere, would just like to try something dependably "Burton."

Fraid this is getting too much into cloning for me to be able to contribute much, and I've not really had much incidental exposure to them. I'd imagine that telling Brewlab you want to clone Pedigree or Bass should get you somewhere, or just ask an open question about old Burton strains.

seems the only way to nail it down is through DNA sequencing but we know that will never happen

These days basic DNA sequencing is so cheap, I have thought about doing some myself - that was my world, so I know what to do, I just don't have any of the kit. Would make more sense for someone like Beer Decoded to take on a subproject looking at homebrew yeast.

just never heard the term double-dropping. In one of my books, can't find it. Isn't there one (maybe more) brewery still practicing it? Or perhaps practiced until the last, say, 20-30 years?

As I say - Brakspear are the classic example who make a big deal of it, like Sheep with their squares and Marstons with the Union. I assume it's a residue of something that used to be much more widespread.

Huh. That surprises me. My suspicion has always been the opposite, that you lot prefer gravity to hops. Am I mangling maltiness for gravity, perhaps? Or just gotten it flat out wrong?

Our classic beer is a 4% beer called "bitter" - does that sound like favouring gravity or hops? :) Don't forget that with relatively low gravities, even 30-35 IBU will give you a pretty high BU:GU. And the thing is with British beer it's all about balancing the different elements without any one dominating, although there will be regional riffs on the theme - Manchester a bit more bitter and paler, Black Country a bit darker, Thames Valley a bit more toffee-malty and so on..

Sorry for the delay Northern, though I very much enjoy the post. I'm dealing with mill and motor issues these days so the brewhouse vessels have taken a back seat. Spike isn't really setup, on a standard line, for their BK's to take a false bottom and whole cones. I haven't compared with the MLT to see why not, seems like it's quite easy, actually, but I will take a look. The other thing I'm thinking about is a true Hopback. I may need to be corrected but it seems to me the Hop Rocket is limited in capacity so that if you really slam late hopping/hopbacking hard, it will easily exceed the Rocket's capacity. Surely there must be something out there already? Such an easy design?

Always interesting for me, anyway, to see how a national economic structures play out in market comparables. So different from here, though that seems to be changing. How much pain has that meant for the average consumer, who truly loves craft ale?

On Brewlab - Gotcha. I was going to reslant the HH but only yesterday realized I have until February for a 3 month mark, lol. I hope by then to have pitched at least a first brew!

Would you mind sharing what you did? THat blows my mind, Northern!

Must have been Brakspear, then. I just saw, too, a pic of a mothballed Fuller's dropping tank in Chris White's book, could have been there too.

I'll take your last paragraph and literally chew on it. We in the States cannot seem to brew anything under 5.2% abv or something like that, believing otherwises, we've not made beer. Gross exaggeration, I know, but it feels like that sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadjobrinus View Post
Don't know what it's like in England, but amazing the marketing shield these big interests do to preserve the pastiche of "craft."
It's always a bit different here, because it was never so clearly "David vs Goliath", the energy was more about cask vs keg than pure size (and the Beer Orders did much of the work in bringing down the big boys). Also the established brewers have gone more down the route of creating their own pseudo-craft brands rather than buying companies outright, most try to hide their roots but some like the Charlie Wells craft brand embrace them.

Quote:
do you know the behavior of HH (presuming it B.S. yeast)? Its description seems to imply it's a dropper, but not as much as others in its family. I'll find out, just curious.

Fraid this is getting too much into cloning for me to be able to contribute much, and I've not really had much incidental exposure to them. I'd imagine that telling Brewlab you want to clone Pedigree or Bass should get you somewhere, or just ask an open question about old Burton strains.

Quote:
seems the only way to nail it down is through DNA sequencing but we know that will never happen
These days basic DNA sequencing is so cheap, I have thought about doing some myself - that was my world, so I know what to do, I just don't have any of the kit. Would make more sense for someone like Beer Decoded to take on a subproject looking at homebrew yeast.

Quote:
just never heard the term double-dropping. In one of my books, can't find it. Isn't there one (maybe more) brewery still practicing it? Or perhaps practiced until the last, say, 20-30 years?
As I say - Brakspear are the classic example who make a big deal of it, like Sheep with their squares and Marstons with the Union. I assume it's a residue of something that used to be much more widespread.

Quote:
Our classic beer is a 4% beer called "bitter" - does that sound like favouring gravity or hops? Don't forget that with relatively low gravities, even 30-35 IBU will give you a pretty high BU:GU. And the thing is with British beer it's all about balancing the different elements without any one dominating, although there will be regional riffs on the theme - Manchester a bit more bitter and paler, Black Country a bit darker, Thames Valley a bit more toffee-malty and so on..

I'm being serious. This is a wonderful mission, to keep them all to a relative constant abv, and capture these tendencies. I know you don't like to clone, but here's an example where I think I could learn tons, just by the constraints of the "study."

Great stuff. My appreciation, Northern.

Latest posts

Back