RIS long term aging: bottle conditioning vs. force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find much of what I was looking for.

What do you guys and gals think is best for long term cellaring? Why? Are you against force carb for a beer you may want to cellar for 4 - 5 years? Lets hear it!

CO2 is CO2. Some say sugar carbonation with yeast reactivates yeast and allows to clean up after itself and condition faster. But on your time scale it's irrelevant. I would bottle though since you don't want to tie up keg for years. Another option is condition in keg until you are happy with result and then bottle from keg

I plan on bottling from the keg. I probably should have specified that.

I suppose what Im looking for is if there are benefits of having yeast in the bottle for long term aging over force carbing and bottling from the keg.

I plan on bottling from the keg. I probably should have specified that.

I suppose what Im looking for is if there are benefits of having yeast in the bottle for long term aging over force carbing and bottling from the keg.

I am not sure what your question is here. If you do not filter out the yeast it will still be in the bottles if you force carbonate in the keg and then bottle.

After that it is a question of bottles or kegs. I did one and bottled it because I didn't want to tie up a keg for a year of two.

I don't think there would be much difference aged in a keg or in bottles.

There would be significantly less yeast if kegged, chilled, then bottled, as opposed to traditional bottle conditioning. Regardless, I think I've got all I need.

There would be significantly less yeast if kegged, chilled, then bottled, as opposed to traditional bottle conditioning. Regardless, I think I've got all I need.

yes, less yeast for sure. now i understand your question. I would condition in the fermentor a couple of weeks -maybe a month or so after fermentation is complete. I once done 2.5 months or so. Then cold crash, keg, carb, bottle.

Force carb then bottle. Perfect carbonation and you get the keg back to refill with beer while the bottles age.

Back