RIP Mike Tasty McDole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was indeed one of the hosts on The Brewing Network: ABOUT | The Brewing Network

Always really respected his brewing knowledge. I remember being interviewed by them almost 10 years ago and being really nervous about Mike being on the panel as the guy knows everything about brewing. He took a really pragmatic / common sense approach to brewing which I respected.

RIP Mike (Tasty). I'll be thinking of him next time I brew Janet's Brown.

Kal

Our deepest sympathies go to the family, friends and fans of Mike McDole

The world of beer & homebrewing has lost a legend, & so much knowledge passes with him. A true gentleman, I've never heard anyone speak an unkind word about him, nor him an unkind word about anyone.

All he wanted in life was for people to enjoy beer, enjoy brewing & he dedicated his life to helping people do that. This planet is truly a sadder place.

There is comfort knowing he is reunited with his beloved Janet & no doubt all of Heaven is raising pints of his famous Janet's Brown Ale

RIP, Tasty. THANK YOU, for helping me make my beer better.

Knew of Mike Tasty McDole only through reputation and his unconventional lager brewing process that he generously shared with the homebrewing community. RIP Tasty, I'll raise a toast to you with some of my homebrew.

I remember him being the unflappable part of the Jamil show. He NEVER took the bait, always stayed on topic, was never irreverent. It seemed to me that Jamil would defer to Tasty on serious subjects.

How did he die? Was he old? Anyone look into this?

He had cancer, was diagnosed about 18 months ago or so. Not sure how old he was- he hadn't changed a bit since I met him but he did look sort of rough even back then!

Tonight I raise a pint in honor. Thank you Tasty for the knowledge and the laughter. You will be missed.

Janet's Brown, Janet's Brown, Janet's Brown!

What was the name of his unconventional lager? May have to try his method for it if I can find It, in his memory.

Can we just flip the calendar and end 2020 early? Enough already.

Massive respect for the knowledge and grace he has always brought to the community. He will be sorely missed.

Oh, 2020 clearly is not done f@cking around with humanity quite yet :no:
If 2020 Was A Math Problem.jpg

Not for another two months yet... :confused:

I listened to almost all of the old CYBI episodes and other shows featuring Tasty on the Brewing Network, and always admired him..
He put up with all the frat boy, locker room type prattle from the younger guys and never sank to their level. Supposedly, Tasty always showed up to events with an entourage of good looking women. I believe he was a veteran of the US NAVY?

Janet's Brown Ale was one of his famous recipes, anyone else know if any others?

I listened to almost all of the old CYBI episodes and other shows featuring Tasty on the Brewing Network, and always admired him..
He put up with all the frat boy, locker room type prattle from the younger guys and never sank to their level. Supposedly, Tasty always showed up to events with an entourage of good looking women. I believe he was a veteran of the US NAVY?

Janet's Brown Ale was one of his famous recipes, anyone else know if any others?

https://www.themanual.com/food-and-drink/tasty-ipa-21st-amendment-brewery/

Been listening to heaps of TBN lately, catching up on times missed. Sorry to hear Tasty. Make it rain Janet's Brown from up there brother!

Tasty was the best of us and he will be missed.

I would of course see Mike at the NHCs I attended and always made a point to go up to him and say hello. He was unfailingly kind, interested and interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversations we had and always looked forward to seeing him again. He was a home brewer's home brewer.

Condolences to his family and the home brew community. We all suffered a loss with Mike's passing.

I only met him once; had a short encounter during Homebrewcon 2018 in Portland. His enthusiasm for home brewing was contagious.
I was wearing my "When I grow up I want to be like Denny Conn" t-shirt. He got a kick out of that and took a picture. Unfortunately my cheap a$$ phone had no camera.

I just saw this last week. Gonna have to brew that Janet's Brown Ale I had been planning tomorrow now.

I received a email from morebeer for a tribute this morning. I was unable to watch or attend but it looks like it may be recorded if anyone wants to watch.
Tasty McDole Tribute

I meet him a couple times at local beer contests and the AHA rallies at Heretic. I thanked him once for sharing his process on brewing lagers, he was quite humble and said it was not his process but Narziss. It may not of been his process to start but the way he presented it on the brewing with style shows and his pragmatic approach to brewing helped me brew good lagers from the start.

Yeah I wanted to watch that but seems to require a Facebook login. Is there a recording anywhere else? I don’t have fb (and would rather not have anything to do with fb)

I get you about fb, I have an account for just such an occasion but dont actively use it.

I listened to the recording after posting and they said they are doing another tribute on the brewing network "the session show" on monday. I looked at the brewing network and dont see it in the up coming events though.

edit:
I think this is a video they mentioned in the tribute show, it is a collab about brewing Janet's Brown ale at Russian River for GABF.

Last edited:
Back