RIP Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No it’s not a cool Halloween recipe. I had a batch of Imperial Stout in kegs in a chest freezer on a Inkbird controller set at 68°. I noticed the controller had been reading the same temperature every time I passed by for several days. That seemed odd so I opened up the freezer to check it.

Sure enough, the controller had failed and the freezer did what freezers do. Ice and leaked beer everywhere.

I brewed that batch back in July and had planned on drinking it over the holidays. So bummed. Has this ever happened to anyone else? And are the kegs damaged?

Ugh. That's a nightmare. Sorry for your loss.
Have you identified what leaked? Hopefully it's from burst tubing or at least connectors and not the kegs themselves, but testing after cleaning should be straightforward if you have a tub: pressurize the kegs then roll them around in a few inches of water to see if there are any breaches.

Hopefully the losses are confined to the beer...

Cheers! (and better luck with your next brew :))

Back