Rinse Bottles after Bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smyrnaquince

Reaction score
After you fill and cap your bottles, do you rinse them off? All of them, none of them, or just the ones you think you might have dripped beer on?

Depends on how careful I have been and how much I care at the time about having sticky bottles. I rinsed them off at first - then rarely - now - never.

I bottle from kegs using the popular ghetto bottling cane described in another thread, and some beer inevitably ends up outside the bottle, since the last step is to deliberately cause the beer to foam over a little bit (to purge oxygen) just before sealing the cap on. So mine all get a rinse in the sink before being dried off and put in the fridge.

Used to rinse them, then when I made a batch for a friend I didn't rinse even one of them. Just told him he could rinse them off it was a big deal. Guess he didn't care.

OK, it looks like common practice varies. I think I'll keep rinsing only because I don't want to eventually pull out a bottle with mold on the outside. That said, I may eventually go kh54s10's route, i.e., " I rinsed them off at first - then rarely - now - never."

Thanks, all!

Quelle Surprise! I have bottled thousands of beers without rinsing. Not sticky, not gross.

If it ain’t broke. . .

Ditto for me...I use a wet hand towel to wipe them down before putting them in the box.

Back