Ring of sediment forming in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldubya

Reaction score
I bottled my apricot pale ale about a week ago and it appears that a ring of sediment, almost like a krausen ring, has formed in the neck of each bottle. At first I thought it was little remnants of apricot that got into bottles but it doesn't appear to be that. What is going on here? Is the beer ruined? Is it safe to drink? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Is it ruined? Probably not.

Is it safe? Yes.

There is a very small chance of infection if you followed sanitation. It's probably just some junk that got pushed up during the refermentation in the bottle.

Only way to know is to try it! Nothing that can harm you will live in beer, so drink away!

this can happen if you bottle with dme.Although i have never seen this happen when i use it.It could mean infection.But i bet it will disapeer over time.Ive bottled up beers with an obvious flakey filmy substance on top and even from those i had those turn out great.I would just keep an eye on them and try one every week and check for overcarbonation. Its even possible its mold from the apricots,but dont be alarmed and dont dump them.Im debating weather my funky batches were mold or infections because my findings were that the filmy stuff disapeared overtime and i still had good beers to drink. Whatever filmy stuff i had disapeered or didnt effect my batch with condtioning.Just be carefull some infections can lead to bottlebombs. I have since let those peculiar batches sit and have no negative effects from them with many months bottled.

this can happen if you bottle with dme.Although i have never seen this happen when i use it.It could mean infection.But i bet it will disapeer over time.Ive bottled up beers with an obvious flakey filmy substance on top and even from those i had those turn out great.I would just keep an eye on them and try one every week and check for overcarbonation. Its even possible its mold from the apricots,but dont be alarmed and dont dump them.Im debating weather my funky batches were mold or infections because my findings were that the filmy stuff disapeared overtime and i still had good beers to drink. Whatever filmy stuff i had disapeered or didnt effect my batch with condtioning.Just be carefull some infections can lead to bottlebombs. I have since let those peculiar batches sit and have no negative effects from them with many months bottled.

Does your space bar work? I got a headache reading this. But I agree with most posters. Probably a krausen ring and it is more then likely fine. The only way to know is to crack one open and try it. If it tastes good, then you are good.

Does your space bar work? I got a headache reading this. But I agree with most posters. Probably a krausen ring and it is more then likely fine. The only way to know is to crack one open and try it. If it tastes good, then you are good.

I ROFLD when i saw that I didn't pick up on the space bar. @aldubya But no its not a problem, drink a few and you'll forget about the ring or you just wont care about it

Really? I have to structure this after thinking of it? You guys are wearing me out.:cross:Thats alot of effort on account of not caring.Sorry.
My brain and space bar or fingers may not possibly work in sync, i think i type,i sorry. That space bar may be a big link to a brain fart. The right hand side o the brain may overtake the left side.

Take precaution against messy bombs(bucket/bin/whatever)
Something is different with this batch. Probably just the fruit, but you wont know till its finished

well, according to the aha/bjcp judges procedures manual it is a possible sign of infection for a ring in the bottle neck.

Like I said, it is a possible infection, or it could be just a krausen ring. The only way to know for sure is to crack one open. If it tastes good, then you have beer my friend. If it tastes like crap, then you have an infection. Just my thoughts. My bet is that it is fine. Let us know though for sure.

I had a similar effect when I recently bottled a dry hopped blonde. I didn't filter out the hops very well and a few particles were in the necks collecting bubbles and serving as yeast rafts. It all dropped out after a couple of weeks.

I just noticed my Black IPA bottles have the same ring at the top and I dry hopped 2 ozs for 13 days so I assume that's what my ring is. Plus, the Star Sans pushes to the top of the bottle and I think, sits there with the hop funk. Too early for a taste test but I am sure I'm ok.

im sure your ok. i had a few beers do this to me as well. i drank them without too much worry and never had an issue.

Unless it was gelly or more of a solid thicker line or ring i wouldnt worry. Ive had some hop debri with a few dryhopped batches.Dme can do this but its never happend to me,but i have had some gell like substance with a few strains but it actually went away and they turned out great, i just kept my eye on the suspisious batches for carbonation.I tend to drink those quicker.

Latest posts

Back