RIMS where & how to measure temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kifkroker

Reaction score
I'm setting up a keggle with my new jaybird false bottom. I'd like to direct fire and recirculate but I'm concerned about maintaining a constant mash temp. Can I run a tee fitting with the ball valve off the short leg and a 2.5 long probe analog thermometer in the end of the tee to measure the wort as it passes through? What's the best (non-electric) way to measure the wort coming up from the dip tube to keep proper temps? Thanks!

I have a Control Products TC-9102D HV temp controller that I use to maintain fermentation temps. If this is a better option, how do I use it to control a Blichmann burner?

There are three places that it makes sense to me to put the sensor. In a tee just after the wort leaves the keggle (what you mentioned above). In a tee just after your pump. Or in a tee just before the wort returns back to the keggle. I have the ability to move my temp probe around fairly easily and have tried all three places. I have settled on having my temp probe mounted just after the pump just before it heads up the hose on it's way back up into the keggle. The advantages of measuring the temp right as it's coming out of the keggle is you don't have to worry about any scorching. The other two spots allow you to monitor the temp after it's dropped a bit due to the hoses & pump temp differences. Though after a few minutes, I've found that the temp measures the same at pretty much all three places. A friend of mine measures temperatures at the ball valve just after it leaves and at the top just after it returns. See what works best for you.

Hope that's helpful. And BTW, as for the thermometer you use, use which ever one will alert you to temperature changes the fastest. A few seconds can mean taking the wort from 152 to 156/158/160. You want to make sure that you're going LOW and SLOW.

There are three places that it makes sense to me to put the sensor. In a tee just after the wort leaves the keggle (what you mentioned above). In a tee just after your pump. Or in a tee just before the wort returns back to the keggle. I have the ability to move my temp probe around fairly easily and have tried all three places. I have settled on having my temp probe mounted just after the pump just before it heads up the hose on it's way back up into the keggle. The advantages of measuring the temp right as it's coming out of the keggle is you don't have to worry about any scorching. The other two spots allow you to monitor the temp after it's dropped a bit due to the hoses & pump temp differences. Though after a few minutes, I've found that the temp measures the same at pretty much all three places. A friend of mine measures temperatures at the ball valve just after it leaves and at the top just after it returns. See what works best for you.

Hope that's helpful. And BTW, as for the thermometer you use, use which ever one will alert you to temperature changes the fastest. A few seconds can mean taking the wort from 152 to 156/158/160. You want to make sure that you're going LOW and SLOW.

Ok, thanks for the explanation of your process, that's a big help since this is new to me. I'll probably start with measuring the wort as it comes out of the keggle and also spot checking with my digital thermometer at the return on the top.

You mentioned low and slow. I read somewhere (maybe a jaybird post but I would not want to mis-quote) that it works well to run the ball valve wide open for 1 to 2 minutes before throttling down to a slow re-circ. Is this your process as well? Also, do you keep the burner on low the whole time with no lid or insulation on the keggle?

Thanks for the help!

By low and slow I mean temperature ramps should be slow because you keep the heat low. As for wide open or throttled, I have a vacuum gauge mounted on the inlet of my pump so I can make sure I'm not sucking wort out and thus potentially compacting the grain bed. As for the ball valve I'd leave it as wide open as you can without compacting the grain bed. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A vacuum gauge seems like a really good idea. Thanks for posting that info, I'll be adding one to my pump for sure!

The value of that vacuum gauge has been immeasurable. Definitely a great investment. Glad it was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back