RIMS tube kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
There are a few threads to be found if you're looking for a parts list for a thread-together RIMS tube but I thought I'd take a lot of the guesswork and searching out of the picture by just offering a kit of all the SS fittings you'd need.

It doesn't come with an element or RTD, but those are kind of personal choice things anyway. It's based on 1.5" NPT so you can get foldback elements in there without it touching the walls.

rimskit.png

Check out brewhardware.com for more details.

If you can get it cheaper somewhere else, let me know.

I was able to source the parts for one with a 6" nipple for cheaper. I imagine an 8" nipple instead wouldn't add more than a few bucks and would've come in a little less than yours. But, that was at a local plumbing store in MI when I was visiting, so it didn't include shipping, etc and of course more of my time.

That seems like a great price! I definitely would've purchased that had I not stumbled across my find.

Looks great! Little bit of a thread jack, but is it okay if the finish on a fold back gets a little scraped inserting it into a 1" fitting?

I'm not sure there is a great need to clean a RIMS tube. I cleaned my old system's tube about once every 5 years. It was fine both times. I do perform a clean in place regime using hot recirculated PBW about every other brew though. That probably cuts the need for disassembly a lot.

I take my element off my RIMS tube every time im done brewing, to clean the element itself and the tube. I have a solid pipe one now and had the screw together one before that. Its not hard at all to clean those tubes. I run a bottle brush through it after a water rinse and then will put the element back on for a oxy recirculation. Its not tough to unscrew the element at all either.

It's really not a matter of whether I'd prefer to offer a triclamp version but that I don't have the skill or time to make them. It was a realization that people will build NPT based RIMS tubes sourcing parts wherever they can find them and that I have a good source for all the parts. Seems intuitive to offer the parts as a kit.

Very nice kit. Much easier than sourcing thru multiple on-line venders.

Love the disclaimer at the bottom--it is a shame how far our judicial system has let us slide.

Jason

I just bought this RIMS kit and I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend it! The pieces are quality stainless steel, very clean threads, and it assembles/disassembles very easily. Since I was in the market of buying, I also purchased a couple stainless t-fittings and sightglass kits. VERY nice items as well that I would describe as industrial grade. Very fast shipping, my pieces were packed very well, and I am thoroughly satisfied with my my purchase! Most people only hear about 10% of the positive experiences members have with vendors, but people hear 100% of the negative experiences people report whether its unfounded or not. I HIGHLY recommend the RIMS kit and fittings from Brewhardware (BobbyM).

Bobby, I don't mind at all. I'm actually going to be mock-fitting the RIMS to my system I am fabricating today and I'll be taking a couple pictures. I don't have an element selection made yet but I will be going with a 120 Volt element if you can recommend one that you think would work well with the tube. My rig has been a slow work in progress over the past few months because I work a lot of hours but I have high hopes to have it done by the end of Summer. We'll see. Thanks again for providing such a great service to the community.

There was another guy on here asking about elements and he found a 2000 watt one that was something like a 10" long foldback and thus very low watt density. Of course, the only issue with 2000 watts is that you need a dedicated 20a circuit to support it. I don't have any experience with this element but it seems like a reasonable choice for reduced chance of scorching.

http://bostonheatingsupply.com/sp10868gl.aspx

Nice Bobby_M... When I get around to it and get the funding I want to build a eBIAB RIMS...

Bobby, that is the element I am going to go with. I actually had another buddy recommend it to me as well. I am under the thought process that "Anything worth doing is worth doing right!" Therego, I will gladly dedicate a 20 amp breaker to my brewing rig. In time I intend to run 100 amps to my garage for an electric rig anyway so its baby steps for now. Thanks for the heads up.

Seeing as you are going to be selling quite a few of these (at least I assume that's the idea)...

Doesn't it make sense to invest in a 1" NPS tap to re-tap the 1.5"-1" NPT bushing so the heater elements actually thread in correctly? That has always bothered me about the stainless pipe fitting rims tubes... and the reason why I built mine out of a hot tub heater instead.

It would make sense if there were a problem. I'll be the first to say that Chinese cast and machined fittings have some real variable thread diameters from lot to lot, but the ones I have in my possession are large enough that the few test elements I have thread in far enough for gasket contact.

Bobby, in my other "past-time" I have come to find that with Chinese parts there can be a wide variable with respect to measurements. It is best to stick with the most well-established vendor because your chances of consistency are greatest. Changing vendors will inevitably result in changing measurements. Stick with the one you think will be around the longest, as you will stand to lose the least, vs. going with the cheapest vendors who may not be around the longest. Nothing worse than sitting on the side of the track with a broken bike and a viable part sitting in my hand but it won't fit ever so slightly. This has been my experience in the past and it sucks. Of course, so does crashing, and that sucks more. Actually crashing sucks a lot.................................

Never mind, I'm drinking beer and I lost my train of thought. Did I mention Bobby M has great RIMS kits?

320696_189577567794907_100002279940817_420002_1723133496_n.jpg

Resurrecting this thread with noob question. Is it personal preference or is there a difference in using the tube over placing the heating element in the kettle? I there a thread that goes over the differences between the eHERMS/ eRIMS/ eAnything else? I have now definitely decided to go with the electric brew system but not sure which one. I have some time before I make final decision that I have to stick with.

Oh btw, this is THE best internet resource sights for homebrewing that NO homebrewer should be missing.

How much does Bobby's Kit cost? Site still down for the holliday rush. I may just order another one.

I know I can't wait until you are back up and running. Decided to upgrade to RIMS system and just waiting on your store to open so I can throw some money at ya. :p

Great Bobby thanx and of course it seems to be worth waiting. Just have $$$ burnin a hole right now.

Murray Equipment can suck my sack too by the way. Before I ever had access to wholesale stainless orders I tried giving them business a couple times. They ended up being out of stock on some stuff and never contacted me to let me know. 2 weeks later I'd call and they'd explain why it hadn't shipped yet.

I got all of my stainless fittings and RIMS tube from Bobby and I am really pleased with all the gear.

My question is how do you guys protect the element's electrical hookups coming out of the RIMS tube? I have most of the leaks out of my system but it's still not perfect. I am wondering if I should wrap the hell out of it, heat shrink it, or use the pvc attachment I have seen. What do you all think will work the best?

Back