RIMS - Mash Water Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
So, I brewed my test batch yesterday on new RIMS system and was way off on my water volumes, thanks to fuzzy math/not thinking things through.

Screw Up: I did a final leak check a few nights before and measured dead space of ~1 Gallon between hoses, pumps, and RIMS tube. I had already changed my mash ratio in BeerSmith to 1.5 qt:lb to help compensate (and then forgot about it) and then added an extra gallon to mash volume while heating. So I ended up nearly 2 gal over on what I really wanted, but boiled longer and only ended up off by 1 point.

Solution: Changed my mash ratio back to 1.25 and my dead space to 1 gallon, like I should have at the beginning.

Question: Those who have a mash system with a lot of dead space, do you do anything to compensate for the extra liquid over your preferred ratio? For example, my Mild only mashes with 2.9 gallons but with the dead space in new system, I'll have 25% more liquid in the mash. Would you change that recipe to a thicker mash? I'm not as worried about bigger beers as the % change of an extra gallon will be smaller.

Opinions?

I don't know that counting those volumes as "dead space" is accurate - you're collecting that liquid in the end, right? I think Beersmith may count that towards efficiency in the end in the sense that it's assuming you won't be collecting that. Just something to be aware of I suppose.

I don't know if there's any hard or fast rule from what I've read. Some people maintain their normal mash ratio and add just the volume under a false bottom. Some people just bump up their mash ratio in Beersmith to a higher number and use that across the board. To some degree, as long as you can maintain a good flow rate, I'm not sure it matters that much vs. a static mash. I'm of the "add on the volume under the false bottom" camp and it has seemed to work fine for me, though I don't do anything as small as a mild. If I did, I would probably keep my normal ratio / volumes and just use a BIAB bag w/no false bottom.

Hmm, I guess that isn't correct. I'm running my sparge water through the RIMS as well, so you're right it's not technically "dead space" as far as efficiency is concerned.

I've got a cream ale up next for my Dad, so maybe I'll try a consistent ratio (a little thick in the mash tun) and see what I end up with. Should be a good test of flow through with the adjuncts.

I think I'll also put a spreadsheet together to play with the mash ratios for different recipes and see what it looks like.

Thanks!

Back