RIMS Hot tub heater... seriously

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PantsOffBrewing

Reaction score
My natural gas hot tub heater went out last month and replacement options are all very expensive, especially considering the ghetto nature of the hot tub. However, my two little girls love playing in it in the summer so i'm motivated to get it warm enough for them to swim/play in.

I was thinking I could make a rims tube with a 5500w heater in it and plumb it into the 500 gallon (?) hot tub where the old heater was. I have an extra PID and sensor as well and a 240v GFCI outlet right there.

Thoughts on this? Anything easier to consider? Is this safe?

Thanks for any thoughts...

The heater setup in an electric hot tub is exactly the same as a RIMS. Except that flow switches to prevent dry firing an element are standard. Not sure what the element wattage was for the tub at my last house. They also have hardwired upper water temp limits (104˚F IIRC.)

I would be very uncomfortable letting my kids (or anyone's kids) play in a pool connected to an electric device of my own design and construction.

Brew on :mug:

I'm not sure how they design electric spa heaters, but if you were worried about the possible risks, you could just disconnect it before use. Honestly I can't imagine how something like this could be a danger tho.

You can buy pre-built controls that come with the heating element. Is basically the same idea as HERMS. Controls all the pumps, etc. When I rebuilt mine, I ordered it from spadepot.com. Might alleviate your safety concerns.

Back