RIMS/HERMS controller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
I am interested in adding either RIMS or HERMS to my brew sculpture, but I am having a bit of a hang up with the controller aspect of these systems...

Is there a company, other than blichman, that sells pre-built controllers for RIMS or an automated HLT for HERMS? I have very little understanding of electrical schematics, and even less interest in setting myself on fire accidentally due to my crappy electrical skills... Given this scenario, is the blichman hop rocket perhaps my best option?

There's a guy on ebay sells pretty basic controllers for decent prices. I'll be back with a link...

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

There are companies that sell control panels, Google homebrew control panel... But that would still require some building with the RIMS tube etc. There are few plug and play options. There are a plethora of purpose made components now, unlike 5-6 years ago when we had to literally fabricate electric rigs from the ground up, but still not a lot of plug and play fully functional choices.

Blichmann probably has the most hands off type of components, however they charge a pretty penny for what you get in return.

I could build a wirelss control box that you could run from a phone or tablet, for $500, that includes a process controller that would automate temperature steps and pump operation. Building a PID type panel is maybe $125 for one element control.

Buying such things already built is typically expensive.

Are you worried about the control only? Or also the integration and install of the heating elements?

Search this seller...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221425538910?nav=SEARCH

He has several others for varying prices.

Sent from my iPhone using the sweet Home Brew app, cuz I'm a ****** and I need everyone to know that I have an iPhone as if everyone else in the world doesn't have one.

PS... The Jaybird RIMS tube (NorCal brewing) is awesome.

I would recommend checking out the BCS-460/462 @ www.embeddedcc.com . The BCS becomes a network device on your local network and will allow you to control and log your heat sources and pumps,etc. via a webpage.

BCS is great, but it's totally DIY

Yes it is, but someone that is mildly interested could mount the BCS, relays and other components in a control box, then hire an electrician to look things over and fix anything up pretty quickly. That way your not risking burning down your house....

The BCS 460 is $179
Relays $10-15 each, the BCS 460 can handle 4.
Temp probes around $20 each.
Control box $20-50 depending on size - lots of great deals on e-bay.

The benefit of the BCS is the interface... Alot of these prebuilt boxes are one-trick ponies. The BCS will give you alot of flexibility that you wished you had if you had bought a pre-built box.

Snapshots of my control box that is powered by a BCS-460. The BCS-460 is the black box in the inside panel photo. I can control my brewstation using any web browser that has access to my local network.

AleForce1_controlbox.jpg

Inside_panel.jpg

Oh I totally agree, I loved my BCS, but this guy I think is looking for something that is built, period. I'd never use anything but a BCS at this point.

Oh I totally agree, I loved my BCS, but this guy I think is looking for something that is built, period. I'd never use anything but a BCS at this point.

I realize that. A few other guys that I have met and have brewed with thought like that, then when they saw what the BCS could do when they brewed with me, they kind of manned up and decided that that's exactly what they wanted.

Are the relays what turn the heating element in/off? I literally have no idea where to even start with something like that... I had already looked at the bcs unit, but like I said, I don't even know where to start and really don't have the interest in building something, assuming I could find a turn key product...

With the bcs is it just on/off? Or does it modulate like a PID controller?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's on/off, or PID, duty cycle, you can program an entire brew session and it will turn pumps on, off, change temps etc... Automatically.

SSRs are used to control power to the elements. Solid state relays.

What would you say is the total cost to build a simple panel using the bcs? It sounds very cool, and definitely overkill for what I need... And I still don't really want to build one lol. But I am interested I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Single element, single pump, panel only, $300ish.

The BCS is $200 of that
$35 enclosure
$30 SSRs with heatsinks
$35 wireless bridge
$$ for wires and terminals
$20 muffin fan (unless you mount the heatsinks externally)

The BCS controls the relays. You can have the BCS manually turn things on/off or you can program it to do certain things when temperatures get to a certain point or a certain time, have it regulate temperatures on vessels, turn pumps on/off...

To start you'd buy a BCS controller box. The BCS460 has 4 inputs ; The BCS 462 has 8. You'd only need to buy relays and temp probes for the amount of vessels you'd want to control, A control box to put everything and some outlets to plug in heating devices and pumps.

If you wanted more of a turn key system, you could check out http://www.ebrewsupply.com/shop/ebrew-control-panels.html , but it'll cost 2-3 times more than if you bought components and had an electrician friend help you. Ebrew Supply even sells DIY kits, although I've never purchased anything from them.

Back