Righteous American Real Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarBear

Reaction score
Has anyone else here made Righteous American Real Ale? (It is from p.170 of Joy of Home Brewing) Papazian claims that this beer finishes pretty quickly, and when I cracked one last night after only 4 days in the bottle, it was awesome. (as he said it would be)

I noticed though, that the amount of Willamette and Cascade in there will punch you in the face like a stinky fist (or at least it has that affect on me). The beer is nicely carbed with a reddish tint to it. It tastes really crisp, and has a really spicy bite to it. Although it's my best beer yet, I'm wondering if that bite is just the bite that the hops is giving it? It's basically the taste equivalent of sticking your nose into a bag of hops. Maybe I'm just not used to drinking beer this fresh.

It certainly doesn't taste green though, at least not to me...

Willamete and cascades if used together can tend to slap the piss outcha. My hopsferatu amber has Saaz 1oz flavoring, 2 oz hallleratu finishing and is dry hopped with 2oz of cascade leaf for two weeks in secondary before bottling. That one will grab yer scrote to.

Give it some more time in the bottle. Those flavors will mellow, giving you a smoother, better tasting beer.

Most of my batch is still aging at room temp, so that's probably good advice.
The info about willamette and cascade being used together is food for thought as well.... thanks for the replies.

J

Latest posts

Back