Right size fridges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
I have been looking around for fridges and found two but don't know if they are big enough to fit a two keg setup i'm thinking about going with. One fridge is 4.3 cu. ft. and the other the guy doesn't know how many cu. ft. but is saying it's 3' X 2' X 2'. Would either of these be big enough?

Just guessing here...but I think a 4.3 will need some modding (hacking) to maybe! make it work. Most likely the door liner will have to be hacked or removed and possibly the interior walls will need to be hacked if they have ribs. If the mini fridge has a top freezer, that's a whole set of other probs.

There really is no set size on what will work and what won't. The sanyo 49XX model works well at 4.9 cf w/ no top freezer. Anything smaller and it really becomes a test of wits and skill. Also kegs vary in size, so there unfortuantely is no easy answer to your ?.

Yeah I had the same question. I'm looking for a 2 keg setup and found a good used Sanyo 4.4 cu. ft. mini fridge, but after reading the last reply, I'm not sure this will cut it...

I just finished my set up and with the Sanyo 4912 i can barely fit two kegs and the CO2 tank (would have a lot more room if the CO2 tank were ran outside).

I use to run the C02 line through the drain in the back of my Sanyo, but I found it easier just to put it in with the kegs. Its a tight fit, but how often are you digging through the fridge when its flowing beer?

Haven't had any beer flowing through the fridge yet but i would assume not at all. Only reason i would really want to run the CO2 tank outside is so i can put the door panel back in (to hold bottles and such).

The only compact fridge I know of that fits full size kegs (5gal corny kegs) is the Sanyo 4912. It is a 4.9 cubic foot model with no freezer. I believe this model was also sold as a Kenmore at one time. Everything else I have seen have that small freezer compartment in the top with cooling lines in it the restricts the height too much. On some models the freezer compartment can be moved but you have to be careful to not crimp or break the copper tubing.
A small chest freezer seems like a better solution to me. It isn't much bigger, is much more efficient and easily fits 3 or more kegs with CO2. When I get around to kegging that is what I will do.

Craig

Most people that get the fridges with freezers on top are able to bend the metal parts along the back so they fit, but you run a chance of breaking the coolant lines.

Yeah I bent the freezer to the back on a mini fridge that I already had. It wasn't very fun, but it works.
There isn't really much room other than 2 cornies.

Latest posts

Back