Rice hulls - needed for Wheat Malt, or just flaked grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkleybloom

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm planning my first wheat beer, and am wondering about using rice hulls.

Grain bill is:
5 lbs German wheat malt
3 lbs Pilsner (2 row)
2 lbs Crystal 80

Would you recommend using rice hulls with this to prevent the bed from sticking? I'm not doing BIAB, but a traditional mash/sparge.

Thanks!
binkley.

Depends. Are you planning on a single-infusion mash? Then yes. But if you're planning on a step mash with a beta rest, then you don't need them.

Single infusion, so I will get some.

Is there a rule of thumb about how much to use per pound of grain?

Single infusion, so I will get some.

Is there a rule of thumb about how much to use per pound of grain?

Not sure, honestly if i think ill need them i just throw a pound in.

They are cheap here like 70 cents or something per lb so its worth the cost regardless if it keeps my sparge from sticking even if its overkill.

A handful or two typically does the trick for a wheat beer depending on your setup. If you are using a cooler tun with SS braid and the braid is in good shape you may not need any but a handful is good insurance. Stuck sparges blow. :)

Doing the cooler, but I have a true false bottom on it, so I think I'm a bit safer than the braid... But I have heard that the stuck spurge is a royal pain in the tukus, so I'm trying to hedge my bets.

Back