Rice Hulls - do I include them in Mash water calculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
If I have 12 lbs of grain, and 1 lb of rice hulls, when I'm calculating mash water do I include the rice hulls? They don't have anything to extract, but they absorb water. So if I want, say, 1.5 qts per 1 lb., do I add 12 * 1.5 = 18 quarts, or do I use 13 * 1.5 = 19.5 qts?

I know, not much difference. But I'm curious.

I always soak them is the hottest tap water possible and drain them just prior to mashing in, that way the absorption of water and heat is fairly negligible

If I'm not rehydrating the rice hulls, I'll add more water to the mash.

But I have to say that a pound of rice hulls is a LOT! I mean, I use two handfulls in a 10 gallon batch and that is probably less than .25 pound as the rice hulls weigh nothing. I buy three pounds at a time, and it lasts me about a year!

If your recipe is 75% wheat, it may be beneficial but you may not need nearly a pound in most 5 gallon recipe.s

Thank you both for the tips.

IBut I have to say that a pound of rice hulls is a LOT! I mean, I use two handfulls in a 10 gallon batch and that is probably less than .25 pound as the rice hulls weigh nothing. I buy three pounds at a time, and it lasts me about a year!

If your recipe is 75% wheat, it may be beneficial but you may not need nearly a pound in most 5 gallon recipe.s

I figured I was overboard. I was using 25% rye, 2.5 lbs, split between malt and flakes. I couldn't start until around 5pm and didn't want to risk a stuck sparge keeping me out in the dark any longer than normal. How much hulls would you recommend in this case?

Thank you both for the tips.

I figured I was overboard. I was using 25% rye, 2.5 lbs, split between malt and flakes. I couldn't start until around 5pm and didn't want to risk a stuck sparge keeping me out in the dark any longer than normal. How much hulls would you recommend in this case?

I do the "two handfuls" scientific measuring. :cross:

In my beers that have a lot of wheat, I use at most 1/4 pound like Yooper said. Even when I did one that was 48% wheat, 1/4 pound was plenty. I usually soak mine down to rinse the chaff off of them before I add them to the mash.

Heck I just thought that they were grains. I was just going to throw them in the mash.

If you don't need them, then you don't have to use them.

The sole purpose is to aid lautering so you don't get a stuck sparge (or a stuck mash if you're batch sparging), so if you're BIAB and that's not an issue, you don't need them.

It won't hurt, but there is 0 purpose to it if you're doing BIAB.

If you don't need them, then you don't have to use them.

The sole purpose is to aid lautering so you don't get a stuck sparge (or a stuck mash if you're batch sparging), so if you're BIAB and that's not an issue, you don't need them.

It won't hurt, but there is 0 purpose to it if you're doing BIAB.

Okay thanks! I just figured they were a grain. I am very much a beginner!

Okay thanks! I just figured they were a grain. I am very much a beginner!

Well, they are very helpful for us "traditional" brewers, and many older recipes may include them. But they are just the hulls of the rice, and of no value to the wort.

They do magic things for those who need them though- the take up space in the mash so sticky grains like rye or wheat don't turn into a sticky glob of glue.

Back