Rhubarb Wine, need recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter32

Reaction score
Okay I'm in the process of doing the freeze/thaw thing for 140# of rhubarb (cleaned cut and cubed). I'm guessing I'll end up with 7-9 gallons of juice. Does anybody have a recipe using juice only? I was thinking of doing a batch all juice and reducing the acid with potassium bicarbonate and then maybe doing a batch half juice half water? Thoughts, comments, concerns?? Thanks

Here's my favorite recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29310

I don't do juice only- it's way too powerful in oxalic acid for my taste. I have dropped some of the acid with calcium carbonate in the past, but I found that sticking with 3 pounds of rhubarb per gallon means it's diluted enough to be palatable.

One time, I tried a batch with 7# of rhubarb per gallon. It was intensely rhubarb, that's for sure. It took a while for that one to be drinkable, but never got what I would call "good".

I am also looking for a Rhubarb wine recipe, but we prefer sweet wines. I am not looking for something as sweet as a dessert wine, but a semi-sweet to sweet.

About 9 years ago a fellow called Luc posted a protocol for making rhubarb wine in another forum. He said if you freeze the juice you can see two different colors - one dark and the other light. The idea is to remove the darker sections by cutting them out. This can reduce the acidity by half. I have never tried this but Luc was a really good wine maker and his methods were always right on target.

Back