Rhubarb -- in something other than saison/wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolarchie

Reaction score
I have a lot of rhubarb in my garden. The last five years I have made some variant of Rhubarb Saison (with Rye) or a Wheat beer, including Berlinerweisse and hefeweizen. These are fine beers but I want to branch out this year and try something a bit more unusual.

I was thinking perhaps an english ale like an ESB, or a red ale, with a bit of caramel sweetness and esters. I find it helps to think of the flavor and aroma profile when crafting a recipe... a cocktail with rhubarb bitters comes to mind. Or even a stout, with some vanilla bean and bourbon soaked oak cubes, a bit more "dessert" like.

How have you used Rhubarb outside the dry, tart/sour, wheaty category it tends to get relegated to?

I could picture an "Oud Bruin"-esque concoction based on a strong, malty base with the rhubarb's rather sharp acidity cutting through the richness.

A guy in my brew club does strawberry rhubarb mixed ferm sours. Don't know what your capabilities are re: sours, but they're amazing.

Mixed ferm is where 90% of my beer momentum goes (see avatar), trying to keep this to a clean beer, something amber-ish. If I give up on this idea, it's going into my aged brett berlinerweisse.

I like the oud bruin idea, or even a flanders red if I was going back down the sour path.

I was thinking perhaps an english ale like an ESB, or a red ale, with a bit of caramel sweetness and esters.

If you're doing your English ale properly, it will have enough character to swamp the rhubarb flavour.

If you're wanting something different - rhubarb works well in cider (and in gin...)

Back